1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
We call it "Papa Bear Car"
By Geronimo on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Our second 140-body Benz, total 15 years. Drove a '93 two extra years while I looked for a clean lo-mile '99, the 140's last year. Father- in-law's a big guy who played basketball for Pitt, so we need big front AND back seats. Mausoleum-quiet, heavy, comfortable. Four people can have a civilized conversation @ 70 mph. Don't buy one if you're not up to the parts chase, and the search for cooperative repair shops. But at $10K for a good lo- mileage example, this is a LOT of road car for the money. Used S cars have great initial- build-quality per dollar. Don't buy one unless you really want a big old German car with a decidedly Teutonic personality.

Excellent ride, comfort, safety
By HeyJohnnyK on 05/08/09 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 48K miles, now have 60K. First S-Class I've owned. Last of the S-classes where Mercedes only used top quality materials. Doors close like a vault. This is our mini- van alternative. I've been driving this for 18 months and still puts a smile on my face every time and feel safe putting my kids in it. Double pane glass makes for incredible quiet ride. Car is 500lbs heavier then newer models, but drives nicer. I have never experienced more comfortable seats, with their separate bottom cushion controls. No mechanical issues. Fixed close-assist motor and wheel sensor. For road trips, nothing better. Arrive relaxed. Sitting in traffic in silent cabin, no problem. Just buy one

New buyer /older car
By Chaz on 10/03/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Went from an '89 430 to a '99 420s in late September. Am astonished by all the features and how beautifully this 10 year old car was built. Although I find the brake pedal a bit soft and it travels a little too far...was told by a mechanic that this is normal? Changed the almost worn back brake pads and the pedal now feels closer to normal. Will also bleed the line for trapped air bubbles. May put a little extra air in the tires to see if it improves cornering/handling. Undoing the negative lead on the battery will render the radio inoperable (anti theft feature) and you will have to get the "code" from Mercedes. Must read the owners manual to understand how everything works.

Niko
By Natureboy on 06/14/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. Realiable, solid, powerful, luxurious, and safe. Great on long trips. Feels like an SUV. Acceleration is amazing for the kind of weight it carries. We love it so much we even named it "Niko." Instead of buying an entirely new car, I have opted to get new tires and rims. It already has a brand new steering wheel with wood trim, wood shifter, and chocolate brown leather mats.

S420 - The only car
By Payton on 04/11/06 08:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

First true luxury car. Fun to drive. The acceleration is outstanding for a car of the size and weight. Great car for traveling. Noise level is very minimum compared to other vehicles. There is plenty of leg room for a 6'2" 245 lb guy. Service record has been excellent. The only major item to fail was covered by a warranty plan. I would purchase another if I had the chance. This one will be in my stable for a long time.

Super Auto
By REA on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Bought used, to replace 1995 S420. All around better auto. Great on long trips, bit tedious in local driving. Flexible service a real plus, only functional problem is opening/closing windows/sunroof with fob. Excellent acceleration and passing power. Definitely one of the finest autos I have ever owned. Dealer service has been splendid.

Finest car made at any price - bar none
By landman on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about 2 1/2 years now and it's the finest car ever. Solid car that is extremely fun to drive. The car rockets from 65 MPH to 85 MPH at the press of the accelerator, great for highway cruisin'. I have had nothing but regular maintenace costs, no repair bills so far. I would argue that if you like the style of a Mercedes, buy it, it could be the last car you buy for many many years. Besides as for as safety goes you will be keeping you and your family safer in this car than ANY other car at ANY cost. That's value!!

expensive
By david91101 on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

The car rides fine, but when things break, which is quite often, it is expensive on the parts, esp. the electronic parts, we are talking about from 350 to 1200.00 a piece without the labor charge wholesale.. watch out !! ohh!! the parts is more expensive than GOLD ?

First time buyer
By John Wood on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

As a first time buyer, i am very pleased with my purchase.I have never owned a foreign car before. I would tell my friends to buy one.