1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
6 YEARS AND I HAVE ACHIEVED MY DREAM MACHINE
By pres_bailey on 09/11/13 09:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

I bought mine a year ago, and in spite of my love hate relationship with the car, it is still my dream car. My 99 S500 is my second Mercedes, the first being a 420sel, has enough power to move like a F16 in a dog fight with a Boeing 747. She is truly a contender for the greatest car of all time, certainly a top 3 finisher, and even at 14 years old she can still turn heads.

1992 600SEL+1999 S600
By wmikemarshall on 09/28/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan

My first W140 experience was with the first year, 1992 600 SEL with 72K miles in perfect condition. I put 5,000 miles on it over 3 years and had $8000 in repairs! Avoid the early years! As of 6/2011 I decided to give the last year model (1999 S600 with 48K miles) another chance because of my fondness of this body style and incredible interior. Took in for basic oil change/tranny service. Back window bracket broke at $425 and another $1200 in adaptive dampening system. A beautiful and awesome car, powerful, incredible options but only great as a "Sunday driver" as they are just not dependable and extremely expensive to repair and maintain. So it is a "Love/Hate" relationship. 400 miles added

We call it "Papa Bear Car"
By Geronimo on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Our second 140-body Benz, total 15 years. Drove a '93 two extra years while I looked for a clean lo-mile '99, the 140's last year. Father- in-law's a big guy who played basketball for Pitt, so we need big front AND back seats. Mausoleum-quiet, heavy, comfortable. Four people can have a civilized conversation @ 70 mph. Don't buy one if you're not up to the parts chase, and the search for cooperative repair shops. But at $10K for a good lo- mileage example, this is a LOT of road car for the money. Used S cars have great initial- build-quality per dollar. Don't buy one unless you really want a big old German car with a decidedly Teutonic personality.

Ultimate Highway Cruiser
By rchase on 08/08/10 06:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

This car is the ultimate highway cruiser. The 6 cyl engine has plenty of power for passing and puts many V8's to shame with its smoothness and power. I have owned this car for many years and it has been super reliable and rather inexpensive to operate. If maintained correctly a Mercedes and even a complicated S class can provide years of reliable transportation at a reasonable cost. Even though this is a large car with a 6 cylinder engine its very fast. For its size it also handles really well. I had to follow a co worker in his Nissan 350z and had no problem keeping up with him even with his attempts to loose me on back roads.

Excellent ride, comfort, safety
By HeyJohnnyK on 05/08/09 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 48K miles, now have 60K. First S-Class I've owned. Last of the S-classes where Mercedes only used top quality materials. Doors close like a vault. This is our mini- van alternative. I've been driving this for 18 months and still puts a smile on my face every time and feel safe putting my kids in it. Double pane glass makes for incredible quiet ride. Car is 500lbs heavier then newer models, but drives nicer. I have never experienced more comfortable seats, with their separate bottom cushion controls. No mechanical issues. Fixed close-assist motor and wheel sensor. For road trips, nothing better. Arrive relaxed. Sitting in traffic in silent cabin, no problem. Just buy one

New buyer /older car
By Chaz on 10/03/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Went from an '89 430 to a '99 420s in late September. Am astonished by all the features and how beautifully this 10 year old car was built. Although I find the brake pedal a bit soft and it travels a little too far...was told by a mechanic that this is normal? Changed the almost worn back brake pads and the pedal now feels closer to normal. Will also bleed the line for trapped air bubbles. May put a little extra air in the tires to see if it improves cornering/handling. Undoing the negative lead on the battery will render the radio inoperable (anti theft feature) and you will have to get the "code" from Mercedes. Must read the owners manual to understand how everything works.

Niko
By Natureboy on 06/14/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. Realiable, solid, powerful, luxurious, and safe. Great on long trips. Feels like an SUV. Acceleration is amazing for the kind of weight it carries. We love it so much we even named it "Niko." Instead of buying an entirely new car, I have opted to get new tires and rims. It already has a brand new steering wheel with wood trim, wood shifter, and chocolate brown leather mats.

S420 - The only car
By Payton on 04/11/06 08:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

First true luxury car. Fun to drive. The acceleration is outstanding for a car of the size and weight. Great car for traveling. Noise level is very minimum compared to other vehicles. There is plenty of leg room for a 6'2" 245 lb guy. Service record has been excellent. The only major item to fail was covered by a warranty plan. I would purchase another if I had the chance. This one will be in my stable for a long time.

Best Mercedes out there
By Benzowner on 11/16/04 22:33 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 S320, It is my most favorite Mercedes because it has power and it is limited edition bullet proof. The S320 has alot of power considered the weight it has to pull. I would recommend the S320 to anyone. Never had a problem with it yet!

Super Auto
By REA on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Bought used, to replace 1995 S420. All around better auto. Great on long trips, bit tedious in local driving. Flexible service a real plus, only functional problem is opening/closing windows/sunroof with fob. Excellent acceleration and passing power. Definitely one of the finest autos I have ever owned. Dealer service has been splendid.