Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Most Helpful|
a trusted friend
By peter

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and had a few repairs over the years including transmission and a few other costly repairs took out insurance a few years ago and helped w repair costs. In short Mercedes can make a more durable car but w all that this I hesitate to trade in the car. It is so reliable and comfortable and fast. I have brought up 4 kids in the car and it still looks like a new car when waxed. It also is an innately beautiful car in terms of styling. Rec form me get one and hold on you will work out repairs and then it will be cost efficient for the years held. There is no other 6 cyl with 14 mpg that gets this performance going to an 8 is something I would never do

Suggested Improvements

must make more durability or better guarantee

S Class Quality
By 98 S420 and S500

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

The 98 and 99 S420 and S500 in my opinion where the best years for the S Class. The new shape in 2000 is very nice but not the same presidence of luxury. Every vehicle has issues no matter what, however this one gave me a few since 2002 I paid exactly $6500 to do repairs. Other than that these are and where the best on Gas, Performance, Style, Luxury, Strength, and just about everything else. This is a driver not a day to day traffic car for bumper grid lock so don't use it for that, get the C Class or a Honda. You need to drive this 70% of the time on the Freeway or Hwy and you can appreciate the S Class for what it is. Mercedes Benz S Class 420 and 500 are the best hands down all the way...

Favorite Features

Front Driver Seat gives the control of a big car with prestige the back seat is so much comfort. My favorite is the Performance and Handling. The AC blows great and the Sound System is awesome, Double Pan Windows. Its a true drive everyone love a Black on Black S500.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders should have been improved since 1993, the Head Light Wipers are difficult to fix. The worst is the Electric Folding Mirrors, because when they break or go out you better find an used part and do it that way, it $300 - $500 less money or you make a claim on the Insurance.

Saved my Life
By Saved my life

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Absolutely loved this car from day 1. Rear-ended in January,2010 by a speeding vehicle. 87 yr old mom and I should have been totaled. I drove my car to the side of the road. I am looking for a replacement and want exactly the same car. I drive my Mercedes for 20 years and want another 10 in this model. If I could I would buy every single one on the road and drive a different color every day. This was Mercedes BEST...to date.

Favorite Features

Power. Safety. Turning radius. Soundless ride.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders are convenient but not comfortable for a passenger. Back seat is so far back I need a tool to get anything off the seat...but don't change it. Put outside mirrors further forward.

S320 Mercedes
By MARK OUTTEN

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I am coming out of a 2002 E320. There is a remarkable difference in the two. The S drives smooth. Dollar for dollar good gas mileage for a big heavy sedan. This car corners very well, stops very. I do see the on board computer technology different in 2002 vs. 1999. Better still undecideded

Favorite Features

Leather interior, Bose system superior, wood grain one of the best I have seen in cars under 100 g's. Good lighting on the road

Suggested Improvements

Heating and air conditioning could be stronger and respond quicker. Xenon lights should be standard.CD player should be standard

1998 S320 LWB (6) Year Owner
By Mark S

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

The LWB S320 is my second Mercedes (replacing a 300E) and I hate to even consider trading it off. It is smooth, quiet although not a rocket off the line, it will hit highway speeds of 125 plus without issue. I hit and totaled a U-Haul truck that ran a red light several years ago and the Mercedes kept me safe and sound. The car was repaired and continues to be a great daily driver. I highly recommend buying and keeping a well maintained Big Body Benz. My wife enjoys driving the S320 as much as her Lexus especially on longer trips. I'm nearly 6'6" and I can tell you this is a great choice for a tall person wanting something besides an SUV or truck.

Favorite Features

Great comfort and standard features. Excellent mileage; 18 city and 24 highway consistently. Super safe and very quiet. Lastly every one has excellent leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the big safe Mercedes.