Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

S Class Quality
By 98 S420 and S500

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

The 98 and 99 S420 and S500 in my opinion where the best years for the S Class. The new shape in 2000 is very nice but not the same presidence of luxury. Every vehicle has issues no matter what, however this one gave me a few since 2002 I paid exactly $6500 to do repairs. Other than that these are and where the best on Gas, Performance, Style, Luxury, Strength, and just about everything else. This is a driver not a day to day traffic car for bumper grid lock so don't use it for that, get the C Class or a Honda. You need to drive this 70% of the time on the Freeway or Hwy and you can appreciate the S Class for what it is. Mercedes Benz S Class 420 and 500 are the best hands down all the way...

Front Driver Seat gives the control of a big car with prestige the back seat is so much comfort. My favorite is the Performance and Handling. The AC blows great and the Sound System is awesome, Double Pan Windows. Its a true drive everyone love a Black on Black S500.

Cup Holders should have been improved since 1993, the Head Light Wipers are difficult to fix. The worst is the Electric Folding Mirrors, because when they break or go out you better find an used part and do it that way, it $300 - $500 less money or you make a claim on the Insurance.

Best car in the world.
By Igor Titar

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

The S-Class is the most beautiful car I've seen & drove. It feels like your driving a ship because its so smooth on the road, it is the creamiest & most comfortable ride & when you need to get somewhere quick it feels like driving a private jet. When I turn on the music it feels like Im at a consert. & when the ESP(traction control) system is on, it is almost impossible to lose control of the car, even if you try (I've tried, I took it out on the snow & tried all kinds of maneuvers to see if it looses traction) it almost feel like a train in its tracks.

A big & beautiful exterior, very powerful engine, ultra-smooth ride (ADS system), very nice sound system. & incredible traction control system (ESP).

The S-Class is absolutely flawless.