Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Saved my Life
By Saved my life

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Absolutely loved this car from day 1. Rear-ended in January,2010 by a speeding vehicle. 87 yr old mom and I should have been totaled. I drove my car to the side of the road. I am looking for a replacement and want exactly the same car. I drive my Mercedes for 20 years and want another 10 in this model. If I could I would buy every single one on the road and drive a different color every day. This was Mercedes BEST...to date.

Favorite Features

Power. Safety. Turning radius. Soundless ride.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders are convenient but not comfortable for a passenger. Back seat is so far back I need a tool to get anything off the seat...but don't change it. Put outside mirrors further forward.

1998 S420
By Wes Benton

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Great vehicle all around some small minor issues however in long drives superb!! great take off, great traction, sounf system is real cool, and speed 138mhp through Mojave Desert, CA. Stop on a dime!!! This is a First Class Car especially when its detailed Black and Black everyone looks at like a with a stare of (Who is in there?) great feeling. Must keep up service not that expensive about $800-$900 per year on the low end. Solid ride very safe.

Favorite Features

Double Pan Windows, Sound System, and Smooth Ride. Quit Inside, AC Blows great, lots of room, great winter car.

Suggested Improvements

Hood Release should not come undone when changing Radiator. Needed better cup holders. Sould have been a Tip Tronic

When MB S420 was still a distinctive Car
By Robert S.

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Nothing but praise! Had a '95 S420 with problems.Give it a second chance, I am so glad I did. Black on black = prestige and class!I Enjoy every trip (San Fran to L.A) Satisfaction? Don't skimp with the services, it pays in the long run! Comfort and style = 1998 S420 MB!

Favorite Features

Rain sensitive wipers, rear sunscreen. Programable gate. Garage door and home light security. Sun and moonroof. Economy on long distance, av.495 miles!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and their location as well as heating or chilling capabilities

STATELY BENZ
By PWa2902216

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car thinking this is a keeper, that has remained to be seen. I would only recommend buying this car used and with a really good extended waranty-with the technology option.

Favorite Features

All the bells and wistles, mine has all the options: Xenon headlamps, ESP thing, rear sunshade, heated front seats intagraded phone, distronic

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders, they seen cheap.

Must be Crazy
By Nancy02

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

My husband bought this car on a crazy impulse, He was so proud and happy about driving a benz around. He got a great deal and it only had 30k on it, but it has been nothing but trouble since he bought it. We have spend over $6000 on fixing this car since he bought it. It has been in the shop longer that it has been out of it. I know the person before me said that the vehicle is great, but I think he or she must me a benz dealer because everyone I talked to told me that they have had problems with their S420 as well. This was a mistake that we will never do again.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.