Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

a trusted friend
By peter

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and had a few repairs over the years including transmission and a few other costly repairs took out insurance a few years ago and helped w repair costs. In short Mercedes can make a more durable car but w all that this I hesitate to trade in the car. It is so reliable and comfortable and fast. I have brought up 4 kids in the car and it still looks like a new car when waxed. It also is an innately beautiful car in terms of styling. Rec form me get one and hold on you will work out repairs and then it will be cost efficient for the years held. There is no other 6 cyl with 14 mpg that gets this performance going to an 8 is something I would never do

Suggested Improvements

must make more durability or better guarantee

1998 S320 LWB (6) Year Owner
By Mark S

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

The LWB S320 is my second Mercedes (replacing a 300E) and I hate to even consider trading it off. It is smooth, quiet although not a rocket off the line, it will hit highway speeds of 125 plus without issue. I hit and totaled a U-Haul truck that ran a red light several years ago and the Mercedes kept me safe and sound. The car was repaired and continues to be a great daily driver. I highly recommend buying and keeping a well maintained Big Body Benz. My wife enjoys driving the S320 as much as her Lexus especially on longer trips. I'm nearly 6'6" and I can tell you this is a great choice for a tall person wanting something besides an SUV or truck.

Favorite Features

Great comfort and standard features. Excellent mileage; 18 city and 24 highway consistently. Super safe and very quiet. Lastly every one has excellent leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the big safe Mercedes.

Solid automobile.
By joel1030

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I leased this vehicle with low mileage from my business partner who had it for 4 years. It has been reliable with few problems. (However, the problems are expensive to get fixed once they occur.) I would highly recommend this car if you want top quality and willing to pay for the maintainance. Will be getting my business partners 2002 Lexus LS 430 nest year and will miss Mercedes materials.

Favorite Features

Ride, gas mileage and interior room and features.

Suggested Improvements

Lower maintenance costs. Germany needs to learn from the Japanese.