1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
S Class Quality
By 98 S420 and S500 on 03/28/10 04:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

The 98 and 99 S420 and S500 in my opinion where the best years for the S Class. The new shape in 2000 is very nice but not the same presidence of luxury. Every vehicle has issues no matter what, however this one gave me a few since 2002 I paid exactly $6500 to do repairs. Other than that these are and where the best on Gas, Performance, Style, Luxury, Strength, and just about everything else. This is a driver not a day to day traffic car for bumper grid lock so don't use it for that, get the C Class or a Honda. You need to drive this 70% of the time on the Freeway or Hwy and you can appreciate the S Class for what it is. Mercedes Benz S Class 420 and 500 are the best hands down all the way...

Saved my Life
By Saved my life on 03/24/10 01:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Absolutely loved this car from day 1. Rear-ended in January,2010 by a speeding vehicle. 87 yr old mom and I should have been totaled. I drove my car to the side of the road. I am looking for a replacement and want exactly the same car. I drive my Mercedes for 20 years and want another 10 in this model. If I could I would buy every single one on the road and drive a different color every day. This was Mercedes BEST...to date.

a trusted friend
By peter on 11/12/09 12:39 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and had a few repairs over the years including transmission and a few other costly repairs took out insurance a few years ago and helped w repair costs. In short Mercedes can make a more durable car but w all that this I hesitate to trade in the car. It is so reliable and comfortable and fast. I have brought up 4 kids in the car and it still looks like a new car when waxed. It also is an innately beautiful car in terms of styling. Rec form me get one and hold on you will work out repairs and then it will be cost efficient for the years held. There is no other 6 cyl with 14 mpg that gets this performance going to an 8 is something I would never do

1998 S320 LWB (6) Year Owner
By Mark S on 10/10/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

The LWB S320 is my second Mercedes (replacing a 300E) and I hate to even consider trading it off. It is smooth, quiet although not a rocket off the line, it will hit highway speeds of 125 plus without issue. I hit and totaled a U-Haul truck that ran a red light several years ago and the Mercedes kept me safe and sound. The car was repaired and continues to be a great daily driver. I highly recommend buying and keeping a well maintained Big Body Benz. My wife enjoys driving the S320 as much as her Lexus especially on longer trips. I'm nearly 6'6" and I can tell you this is a great choice for a tall person wanting something besides an SUV or truck.

1998 S420
By Wes Benton on 07/28/09 02:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Great vehicle all around some small minor issues however in long drives superb!! great take off, great traction, sounf system is real cool, and speed 138mhp through Mojave Desert, CA. Stop on a dime!!! This is a First Class Car especially when its detailed Black and Black everyone looks at like a with a stare of (Who is in there?) great feeling. Must keep up service not that expensive about $800-$900 per year on the low end. Solid ride very safe.

When MB S420 was still a distinctive Car
By Robert S. on 02/19/07 14:15 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

Nothing but praise! Had a '95 S420 with problems.Give it a second chance, I am so glad I did. Black on black = prestige and class!I Enjoy every trip (San Fran to L.A) Satisfaction? Don't skimp with the services, it pays in the long run! Comfort and style = 1998 S420 MB!

S320 Mercedes
By MARK OUTTEN on 11/23/05 15:08 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I am coming out of a 2002 E320. There is a remarkable difference in the two. The S drives smooth. Dollar for dollar good gas mileage for a big heavy sedan. This car corners very well, stops very. I do see the on board computer technology different in 2002 vs. 1999. Better still undecideded

Solid automobile.
By joel1030 on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 LWB 4dr Sedan

I leased this vehicle with low mileage from my business partner who had it for 4 years. It has been reliable with few problems. (However, the problems are expensive to get fixed once they occur.) I would highly recommend this car if you want top quality and willing to pay for the maintainance. Will be getting my business partners 2002 Lexus LS 430 nest year and will miss Mercedes materials.

STATELY BENZ
By PWa2902216 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car thinking this is a keeper, that has remained to be seen. I would only recommend buying this car used and with a really good extended waranty-with the technology option.

finest car made
By bluegreg on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan

This is luxury. I have driven many cars and this is the finest car I have ever driven. only 750 sold in the US between 1995-1999. so if you get one it is one of an elite group.