Don't buy this car!
By Pissed Off! on
1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan
My 1997 S420 is the worst car I have ever owned! I bought it with 80,000 miles on it and now have 160,000 on it. I have a lot of problems with it. The engine is good and everything but the trim on the doors was coming off, the rear passenger side window doesn't work, the soft-close door/trunk feature doesn't work anymore, the A/C isn't as cold as it use to be, and the brakes squeak very loudy although they were replaced. The black paint is starting to show its age and rust. The front springs are squeaking and need to be replaced too. Everyone else that owns this car doesn't have these problems so maybe I got the bad apple of the bunch. I do like how solid and fast this car is at high speeds.
Favorite Features
12-power seats with power lumbar support. Power-folding side view mirrors.
Suggested Improvements
Mercedes-Benz really needs to step up the quality of their cars considering how much they cost up-front and to maintain. My next car will definitely not be a Mercedes-Benz S550!
By rickyg3
on 06/26/14 18:01 PM (PDT)

wow! im surprised youre so mad! I just bought this same vehicle for 2,500 and it has 135,000 miles on it and as far as the engine running, I have no complaints! my back passenger window also quit working two days after I bought it and the air doesn't get cool like it should. but other than that I have no complaints... Im going to by one of those airconditioner refill cans from auto zone and see if it recharges my air... do you have any idea if this will work or do you have any other suggestions?

By benson2175
on 08/11/14 09:20 AM (PDT)

I've owned a number of Mercedes including this one and every time the airconditioner refill from autozone saved the AC. Also read on Mercedes Benz forums about the diagnostic mode for the climate control. If read properly can tell you exactly what's wrong.