1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Review: battlecruiser

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Review

battlecruiser
By hovocop on

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago used with 162000 miles on it. The price was right, and I thought it to be a "disposable" car. NOT SO!!!! I have driven much newer mercedes, and this 14 yr old car has not lost a step in performance or comfort. Beware of a "weeping" oil drip of this car. I was stunned and horrified when I discovered it. A little research on the internet told me that the oil should not be at the "max" of the dipstick. it should be in the middle. The key comes down to maintainance records. If you had an anal previous owner, you are in luck. If you had an owner who saved his pennies to get it (and did not want to spend his pennies to maintain it) you will have a bad experience.

I live in Plaos Verdes, so I have to climb the "hill" on a routine basis. I love to toss it into d3, and do 50mph in my 4500 lbs car on a "hill". Some reviews say that the 320 is not powerfull enough for this heavy a car. I beg to differ.

The best advice so far would be to not freek out over the "weeping" oil issue. I believe that I read somewhere that mercedes changed the oil fill recommendation from 7.5 liters to 7.0.
By hovocop
on 07/17/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

update........ it has been 3 months. the weeping problem disappeared as expected (when the oil level went to the mid range of normal). 167k miles and climbing (yes I do sales and drive A LOT)