1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Best car I've ever had.
By Joe cash on 09/16/08 14:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nov. 1996. After 80,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. That was the blast and only unreasonable repair I've made. I now have 200,750 miles on it. At 200,000. the evaporator in the A/C was leaking and had to be replaced. It was costly, $3400. but it is a great car and I paid the price. My family suggested`I buy a new car, but even an E class was going to cost me close to $60,000. and since I love this car it was`a no brainer. The trunk is large, and as they say, I could raise a family of five in the back seat. When I buy a new car it will probably be a diesel, not because of gas mileage, but because of less maintenance. I get 17.5 mpg city.

Don't buy this car!
By Pissed Off! on 06/09/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

My 1997 S420 is the worst car I have ever owned! I bought it with 80,000 miles on it and now have 160,000 on it. I have a lot of problems with it. The engine is good and everything but the trim on the doors was coming off, the rear passenger side window doesn't work, the soft-close door/trunk feature doesn't work anymore, the A/C isn't as cold as it use to be, and the brakes squeak very loudy although they were replaced. The black paint is starting to show its age and rust. The front springs are squeaking and need to be replaced too. Everyone else that owns this car doesn't have these problems so maybe I got the bad apple of the bunch. I do like how solid and fast this car is at high speeds.

Speed, smooth, solid nickle & dimer
By Mr. T on 09/26/06 19:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

She's a highway machine. Silky smooth accelleration. She holds the road like an autobahn purebread. The engine rules, except for those pesky oil journals (nice job designer guys). When the miles start to rack up, the strangest things start to go out on it. Air coditioner wierdness, transmission gremlins (limp home mode?!) leave you and the dealership scratching your head as to what's wrong (computer diagnostics?!). The heaviness of the car eats suspension and brake parts. On a positive note, if you can find a mechanic who can identify and fix the little strange things that will happen to this car, it will last forever!

420S Mercedes/not driven much
By Dee Stavola on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

Garage kept.Black on black. Two other cars not driven.

My Last Mercedes
By VWRattletrap on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

This was the car that turned a certified car nut like myself into someone who just wants cheap transportation. I bought this car new and in the first year had over $10K of warranty work . . . I finally sold it after 12 months and bought a Volkswagen! A partial list: engine torn down to replace timing chains due to constant whine, transmission slip shifting, rattles, radio not connected at the factory, temperature sensor intermittent, damaged paint, and finally, the total arrogance of the factory zone reps!

The Black beauty
By JRW on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

The S 420 is an excellent example of German made excellence in motorvehicles. The comfort level is impecable and is one of the smoothest rides i have ever ridden in. The car is perfection at its best.