1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Special experience
By carfemme on 08/01/14 21:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years. Bought it used with 90K mileage - had been in love with the look of the vehicle since I first saw it at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1997. When I found a nice used one, I bought it. Needed some work to restore it and I did that. It is a very fun and comfortable car to drive. Costs more than the norm to repair it, but it is an experience you just cannot find in a normal car. I use it for highway driving and know that I will have the performance and safety that I need. It also happens to be quite beautiful.

battlecruiser
By hovocop on 04/18/11 03:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago used with 162000 miles on it. The price was right, and I thought it to be a "disposable" car. NOT SO!!!! I have driven much newer mercedes, and this 14 yr old car has not lost a step in performance or comfort. Beware of a "weeping" oil drip of this car. I was stunned and horrified when I discovered it. A little research on the internet told me that the oil should not be at the "max" of the dipstick. it should be in the middle. The key comes down to maintainance records. If you had an anal previous owner, you are in luck. If you had an owner who saved his pennies to get it (and did not want to spend his pennies to maintain it) you will have a bad experience.

The German tank
By THE VIKING on 04/30/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

The most overengineered MBZ ever built. Love the Black leather, don't get the beige or gray. Even has a parking assist in 1997 ! I love this car. Best driving car I have ever driven. Parts are very $$$ if you buy this used. You can get one for 7K, but make sure it has been taken care of. Mileage is meaningless on this car. Maintenance is most important, and a good mechanic. These cars can go to 1,000,000 miles actually. I think it's in the world record book. The car drives like a sports car. The car is very heavy, so get the S500, not the weaker S430 or S300, there too weak to pull this much weight. And get black interior.

1997 S500 - The Last Great Benz
By Viking99 on 04/26/10 08:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

I have owned a few MBZ in my life. I had admired the W140 chasis on the road for many years. The square bold looks, & rock-solid build looked indestructable. New price: $ 100,000 A few points: Steering Wheel: If you can get a wood steering wheel. Hard to find. Interior: Black is the only way to go. Grey / beige don't age as well. Engine: This is a super heavy car. Don't waste your time with a V6. It's like using a wheel barrel to pull the Queen mary. Stick with 97-99. This cars can be had for 7K-8k used, but buyer be aware. Most of the lower priced ones need work of easily 10K - 15K. Get one with service records & an anal owner, that had the work done for you. 10K-15K

Best car I've ever had.
By Joe cash on 09/16/08 14:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nov. 1996. After 80,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. That was the blast and only unreasonable repair I've made. I now have 200,750 miles on it. At 200,000. the evaporator in the A/C was leaking and had to be replaced. It was costly, $3400. but it is a great car and I paid the price. My family suggested`I buy a new car, but even an E class was going to cost me close to $60,000. and since I love this car it was`a no brainer. The trunk is large, and as they say, I could raise a family of five in the back seat. When I buy a new car it will probably be a diesel, not because of gas mileage, but because of less maintenance. I get 17.5 mpg city.

Don't buy this car!
By Pissed Off! on 06/09/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

My 1997 S420 is the worst car I have ever owned! I bought it with 80,000 miles on it and now have 160,000 on it. I have a lot of problems with it. The engine is good and everything but the trim on the doors was coming off, the rear passenger side window doesn't work, the soft-close door/trunk feature doesn't work anymore, the A/C isn't as cold as it use to be, and the brakes squeak very loudy although they were replaced. The black paint is starting to show its age and rust. The front springs are squeaking and need to be replaced too. Everyone else that owns this car doesn't have these problems so maybe I got the bad apple of the bunch. I do like how solid and fast this car is at high speeds.

Speed, smooth, solid nickle & dimer
By Mr. T on 09/26/06 19:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

She's a highway machine. Silky smooth accelleration. She holds the road like an autobahn purebread. The engine rules, except for those pesky oil journals (nice job designer guys). When the miles start to rack up, the strangest things start to go out on it. Air coditioner wierdness, transmission gremlins (limp home mode?!) leave you and the dealership scratching your head as to what's wrong (computer diagnostics?!). The heaviness of the car eats suspension and brake parts. On a positive note, if you can find a mechanic who can identify and fix the little strange things that will happen to this car, it will last forever!

Excellent preowned luxury car.
By Heskett on 05/25/06 14:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

Haven't had the car long but have made some extended trips. MPG was a little over 20 on these trips. Performance and comfort are excellent. Still a classic for MBZ styling. With good care should remain a symbol of classic style and quality engineering.

Last of the good Benzes
By Doug Hall on 03/11/05 17:02 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I have owned about 10 mercedes, this 1992-1999 S Class is among the last of the truly good ones. Bought my 1997 used in 2000, pure joy. Love driving it, 23 mpg in mixed driving, gets lots of compliments at 8 years and 105000 miles. Strangers ask if I want to sell it. Black/black leather, Looks positively new, very reliable overall. These are very complex cars, buy one from a dealer with all records and the "Starmark" extended warranty, buy extra coverage to 36 months/100000 total miles. 1997-1999 are the best years, 5 speed auto, updated wheels/climate control/stereo, 1992- 1996 wiring harness and head gasket problems corrected.

420S Mercedes/not driven much
By Dee Stavola on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S420 4dr Sedan

Garage kept.Black on black. Two other cars not driven.