Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

battlecruiser
By hovocop

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago used with 162000 miles on it. The price was right, and I thought it to be a "disposable" car. NOT SO!!!! I have driven much newer mercedes, and this 14 yr old car has not lost a step in performance or comfort. Beware of a "weeping" oil drip of this car. I was stunned and horrified when I discovered it. A little research on the internet told me that the oil should not be at the "max" of the dipstick. it should be in the middle. The key comes down to maintainance records. If you had an anal previous owner, you are in luck. If you had an owner who saved his pennies to get it (and did not want to spend his pennies to maintain it) you will have a bad experience.

Favorite Features

I live in Plaos Verdes, so I have to climb the "hill" on a routine basis. I love to toss it into d3, and do 50mph in my 4500 lbs car on a "hill". Some reviews say that the 320 is not powerfull enough for this heavy a car. I beg to differ.

Suggested Improvements

The best advice so far would be to not freek out over the "weeping" oil issue. I believe that I read somewhere that mercedes changed the oil fill recommendation from 7.5 liters to 7.0.

Last of the good Benzes
By Doug Hall

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

I have owned about 10 mercedes, this 1992-1999 S Class is among the last of the truly good ones. Bought my 1997 used in 2000, pure joy. Love driving it, 23 mpg in mixed driving, gets lots of compliments at 8 years and 105000 miles. Strangers ask if I want to sell it. Black/black leather, Looks positively new, very reliable overall. These are very complex cars, buy one from a dealer with all records and the "Starmark" extended warranty, buy extra coverage to 36 months/100000 total miles. 1997-1999 are the best years, 5 speed auto, updated wheels/climate control/stereo, 1992- 1996 wiring harness and head gasket problems corrected.

Favorite Features

Ride, styling, safety features, large trunk, people are very impressed by it even though you could buy it now for about what an Accord costs

Style and Class-The S class
By betty from Florida

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

Finest S class I have owned, and it's been a great car, EXCEPT for the transmission problem. Had it rebuilt once, and acting up again, so now I'll trade it in. Too bad, otherwise I'd be driving it another 5 years. Had my other s class Mercedes 10 years for one and 11 years for another. Great car otherwise.

Favorite Features

SEATS - no other car ever had such great seats, especially if you get the luxury sheepskins from Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning a little weak for Florida, and they still need to solve the transmission problems. Without any problems, the transmission is like silk.

Great Wheels
By MRDC

1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 SWB 4dr Sedan

Putting the costs aside, this vehicle has been an excellent ride. The solid feel on the road with its good performance is everything one should expect from a car of this reputation. The simplicity and understated elegancy makes this a real winner. All problems were handled under the warranty and the extended warranty (a definite buy given the costs of repairs).