1994 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Review: 20 years after it was built

1994 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Review

20 years after it was built
By uhdeman on

1994 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S420 4dr Sedan

first Mercedes I owned was a used POS 1993 e230 and I hated that thing and I have despised Mercedes since. I recently purchased a 1994 s420(has many problems, 3 hoses leaking power steering,one window and door lock doesnt work, seats are ripped apart, and needs minor body work BUT.. at 114k and paid only $1500 I had to get it. even with me leaving puddles everywhere i go of power steering fluid I LOVE THIS CAR!(i flip cars over 10 years and this is MY FAVORITE car of all time!! it still turns heads and people do stop and stare. Everyone from young to old love this and they tell me. I do work myself on this and parts arent that bad. I love this car as is! I cant wait to get things fixed!

It has everything except a glass sunroof, but not complaining. the Double pain bullet proof glass, love it. for a 1994 it has more things than my 2000 740i tho maybe this s-class compares more to the 750il? either way it has it all.

none
By mrd2u
on 07/11/15 10:47 AM (PDT)

I too own this magnificent car. I too flip cars and as a result have owned more than the average bear. I have and continue to buy and sell Lexus LS430's, GS300 and Gs400's post '98, Lincoln, Cadillac etc etc. My personal daily driver is currently the 1999 W140 S320. It is in the auto body shop as I was slightly rear ended by an Acura and suffered some paint scratching. The insurance company gave me a 15 year younger BUICK LaCROSSE and the kid that delivered it assured me that I was really going to enjoy this much more modern car. Granted it has many tech. gadgets to distract from the fact that the car is a complete bore to drive I am quite anxious to get my W140 back. I could go on extensively about it's quiet engrossing ride and wonderful sound system ( and I have always prior been disappointed in BOSE ) I merely want to correct those that keep referring to the double pane side glass as a "bullet proof" car. That is silly and I get that from the uneducated masses whenever they see me roll the window down. Mercedes DID make a bullet-proof version of the 8 and 12 cyl. W140's available beginning in 1993 but they are rare and it is highly unlikely that these young men have one of these. The double pane, glazed side glass serves as a sound insulator and helps prevent water and ice condensation. But, if it'll help you get the girl - say what you will. My conclusion , is that although the V12 is the most fun and well appointed model - I love the practicality of the in-line 3.2L as it is close in performance to the 4.2 V8 and allows so much more room to work on the engine - should you ever need to. Rubber and fluids will degrade on all cars - I have flushed my tranny fluid 3 times in 130K miles and flushed the power steering fluid, brake fluid and , of course oil maybe more than I needed to. But I have no leaks, problems or doubts that as long as I continue to maintain this wonderful car, and condition the leather, wax it's paint etc, it will prove to be as reliable and more enjoyable to drive as any Lexus or Infinity ( FINE cars all!) without the monthly payment that comes with a $90,000+ car. None of which are "bullet-proof" either BTW. I see no evidence that I can't reach 300,000+ miles in this car or that the pleasure of driving it will ever diminish.