2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Review: A totally misunderstood car

2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Review

R350 BlueTEC Wagon (3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic)

A totally misunderstood car
By rowner on

2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 BlueTEC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I just purchased my second "R" diesel, a 2011, black and almond. Many magazine reviews for this car since its introduction categorizes it as some version of a minivan. Believe me, it is not a minivan by any measure of comparison. It is an SUV, pure and simple! Having owned a MB-GL diesel, a gas ML, and a 2008 R diesel, I can say it is the best of the three models. It has more usable room, weighs less, handles better, accelerates faster, uses less fuel, is more passenger friendly and more comfortable than its MB stablemates. Plus it is $10,000 cheaper than the comparable GL. My 08 R had 50,000 miles on it, all w/o a single mechanical issue or problem.

The exterior styling was never my favorite feature, but it has grown on me. The few styling revisions of the 2011 model are so subtle that only the discerning eye can tell the difference. The best option package for this car is the diesel version w/Premium 1, no panoramic roof, heated front seats, trailer tow, second row middle seat, basic roof rail system, and parktronic. The MSRP will be around $60,000. I hope that these comments were a help to those considering purchasing this automobile.