Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 BlueTEC Diesel Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel

R320 BlueTEC 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Ultimate Wagon
By Roy

2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel R320 BlueTEC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We have owned this car (staton wagon) for approx 1-1/2 years. Through this time it has been found to be totally reliable, with zero repairs needed and only oil changes along with scheduled maintenance. We live in Alberta where the the winter weather can be vary from intermittent freeze thaw, providing ice and snow and slush. With the vehicle weighing 5100 lbs, all wheel drive, traction and brake control; it handles all these conditions at posted speed limits while sitting back in luxury. At -40 deg there is no need for block heater, as this car starts every time. Also for a 5100 lb car it still gets 30+ mpg. Compared to North American cars this one has ample head room for me being 6'4" tall.

Reliable, Traction, handling, fuel mileage, luxury. Smoother ride and better handling than any Cadillac or Lincoln I have previously owned. Also, price is very comparable to NA cas with same features.

Mercedes recommends changing oil every 10,000 miles. I am more comfortable to do so at half that interval so I do it myself between the scheduled maintenance at the dealership. Would be convenient to have small hatch cover under the oil drain plug instead of having to remove whole from belly cover.

Best family vehicle
By coladin

Coming from an XC90, an exceptional family vehicle, we are now back in a car, along one, but a car nonetheless. Tonnes of space, great ride and handling considering its size and the mileage is amazing. Whereas the XC90 struggled to get 240 miles for 19 gallons of gas, the R gets an easy 380 of pure city driving. Plus, it has great torque and very driveable and people always seem to notice it, it is very handsome with the AMG package and 19 inch wheels.

Diesel, seats, space, versatility, classy styling, ergonomics

More power would always be nice, if they can send the diesels that they have from Europe, it would be great, there is a 270bhp version...R420.

Huge gas saving
By R Class Limo

Mercedes built and Mercedes quality! So far I have driven this vehicle 20K miles (city & highway) and am getting an average of 25 mpg. Why we are not adopting diesel technology here in the USA is beyond me, makes much more sense than the Hybrid which can never be economical for the larger vehicle until the battery technology is radically improved. Mercedes service is expensive, they sell the bluetec additive at $50/gal, the same solution (same ISO#) can be bought at Pilot truck stops for $6/gal?

Fuel consumption

find a place for the spare tire. "Run flat" tires are too expensive and not always readily available. Advice - keep a replacement tire in the garage.

R bluetech is worth to try
By Adam

Bluetech was really new at the time of my purchase and I was not sure if what they were saying were true or not. After driving the vehicle almost a year now, I don't have any complain at this time. I would recommend my friends and family to try bluetech and I am sure they will save some money and have comforts in this vehicle. Love it and sometimes it is good to hear your inner voice. Try. You will love it.

the mileage that I can get from the full tank is excellent. Less time to visit gas station and get my money worth once I am there.

The Sound and the smell of diesel are still there. Little to notice. if you can improve them, it is the most selling future vehicle.

A Great Ride for a Family!
By NDavis

We purchased this car in August and been thrilled ever since! We are a family with three children and switched from an 2002 Odyssey. I have found that cargo space is adequate for regular shopping and school backpacks, sport equipment, etc. Longer trips are fine with a cargo box on top. The gas mileage that we are getting is phenomenal compared to the 2002 minivan and the car is a blast to drive (certainly in comparison to a minivan :). Safety of the vehicle is great, we've been rear ended on the highway and everyone was fine..the car really absorbed the impact well. I'm looking forward to driving this car for a very long time.

Bluetec - gas mileage, Interior comfort - spacious seating, enjoyable to drive

Ipod integration should be standard