2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 BlueTEC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2009 R-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Ultimate Wagon
By Roy

2009 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 BlueTEC 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We have owned this car (staton wagon) for approx 1-1/2 years. Through this time it has been found to be totally reliable, with zero repairs needed and only oil changes along with scheduled maintenance. We live in Alberta where the the winter weather can be vary from intermittent freeze thaw, providing ice and snow and slush. With the vehicle weighing 5100 lbs, all wheel drive, traction and brake control; it handles all these conditions at posted speed limits while sitting back in luxury. At -40 deg there is no need for block heater, as this car starts every time. Also for a 5100 lb car it still gets 30+ mpg. Compared to North American cars this one has ample head room for me being 6'4" tall.

Favorite Features

Reliable, Traction, handling, fuel mileage, luxury. Smoother ride and better handling than any Cadillac or Lincoln I have previously owned. Also, price is very comparable to NA cas with same features.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes recommends changing oil every 10,000 miles. I am more comfortable to do so at half that interval so I do it myself between the scheduled maintenance at the dealership. Would be convenient to have small hatch cover under the oil drain plug instead of having to remove whole from belly cover.

Best family vehicle
By coladin

Coming from an XC90, an exceptional family vehicle, we are now back in a car, along one, but a car nonetheless. Tonnes of space, great ride and handling considering its size and the mileage is amazing. Whereas the XC90 struggled to get 240 miles for 19 gallons of gas, the R gets an easy 380 of pure city driving. Plus, it has great torque and very driveable and people always seem to notice it, it is very handsome with the AMG package and 19 inch wheels.

Favorite Features

Diesel, seats, space, versatility, classy styling, ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

More power would always be nice, if they can send the diesels that they have from Europe, it would be great, there is a 270bhp version...R420.

Huge gas saving
By R Class Limo

Mercedes built and Mercedes quality! So far I have driven this vehicle 20K miles (city & highway) and am getting an average of 25 mpg. Why we are not adopting diesel technology here in the USA is beyond me, makes much more sense than the Hybrid which can never be economical for the larger vehicle until the battery technology is radically improved. Mercedes service is expensive, they sell the bluetec additive at $50/gal, the same solution (same ISO#) can be bought at Pilot truck stops for $6/gal?

Favorite Features

Fuel consumption

Suggested Improvements

find a place for the spare tire. "Run flat" tires are too expensive and not always readily available. Advice - keep a replacement tire in the garage.

R bluetech is worth to try
By Adam

Bluetech was really new at the time of my purchase and I was not sure if what they were saying were true or not. After driving the vehicle almost a year now, I don't have any complain at this time. I would recommend my friends and family to try bluetech and I am sure they will save some money and have comforts in this vehicle. Love it and sometimes it is good to hear your inner voice. Try. You will love it.

Favorite Features

the mileage that I can get from the full tank is excellent. Less time to visit gas station and get my money worth once I am there.

Suggested Improvements

The Sound and the smell of diesel are still there. Little to notice. if you can improve them, it is the most selling future vehicle.

A Great Ride for a Family!
By NDavis

We purchased this car in August and been thrilled ever since! We are a family with three children and switched from an 2002 Odyssey. I have found that cargo space is adequate for regular shopping and school backpacks, sport equipment, etc. Longer trips are fine with a cargo box on top. The gas mileage that we are getting is phenomenal compared to the 2002 minivan and the car is a blast to drive (certainly in comparison to a minivan :). Safety of the vehicle is great, we've been rear ended on the highway and everyone was fine..the car really absorbed the impact well. I'm looking forward to driving this car for a very long time.

Favorite Features

Bluetec - gas mileage, Interior comfort - spacious seating, enjoyable to drive

Suggested Improvements

Ipod integration should be standard

S Class Wagon
By Bob

If MB had a S class wagon this would be it. With a family of 5, this car works. The kids do ask about the impact of a car of the earth..so with a SL500 in the garage, I had to do something. The Bluetec power is more useful than the numbers would suggest with very good passing power once underway. Build quality is first rate. With a heavy foot I'm getting 20- 22 mpg in the city and just over 28 mpg on the highway. This is a 5000 lbs car and every crossover/suv this size should have this type of engine. It just plain works and makes sense. Has unmatched safety features in the crossover/suv class. You get what you pay for..will have this one for 10 years.

Favorite Features

Handles well, great interior and second row seating is limo like. Kids love it. Seven speed transmission keeps the engine in a useful RPM range at all speeds around town. The torque of this engine makes this engine/vehicle combo work.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a knob and not a menu item to dim the display screen.

Diesel is nice
By Bob Coin

We ordered a 2009 R320 to replace our 2006 R350 coming off lease. The diesel is giving us exceptional fuel mileage, 24 city, 29 highway in the first 800 miles. The turbocharger fixes the woeful under torque in the R350. The steering is too numb, giving little feel of the road. The command system is a bit improved over the older system, but the screen is too small and the navigation presentation poor and behind the competition. The sunroof is nice and the interior build quility superb. Benz remains far behind the Japanese competition in features and price, but they do not have competing vehicles with the R. It is ridiculous that xenon headlights and push button starting are not standard.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine. Excellent leg room in every row. Quiet ride. Sun roof now standard.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights, push button starting and memory seats should be made standard. License Infiniti's superb navigation system and ditch the comand junk! Give more road feel to the steering.