Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

What to call the R-Class...Nice!
By Rodney

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My wife and I were in the market to replace our Yukon XL 4x4. We were looking at the GMC Arcadia and Buick Enclave when at the time I became aquainted with an R350 at our research lab for vehicle design and repairability review. With all of the safety features this car provided along with the amazing interior room, the R class was just right for my family of 5. I am a first time MB buyer so this may be the last one I buy or the first of many. We are so very pleased with the vehicle. It drives like a cloud. We thought we would miss the Yukon, but those memories are gone. This car provides for all of our needs and then some. We just love this car!

Favorite Features

We have enjoyed having the back-up camera and the park assist feature. The leg room is short of incredible in this car. We opted for the P2 package, and I'm glad we did as it provides the Nav system and other nice features like the disk changer and I- Pod.

Suggested Improvements

I would think that many of the options should be standard equipment (Nav, DVD, hands-free phone) for a car in this price catagory.

R-Class, Where you grow to after a van
By Heris

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My title says it all. The R-Class is the vehicle you grow to after the kids are too big for a van anymore. Teens now drive, they're too cool and big to be climbing in a van and this is just perfect. There's room for the drums and trips to the warehouse stores. It's not too tall so you don't get dirty getting stuff out of the back. It's better than a modern wagon. It's better than a van. It's better than I could ever imagine. Mercedes Benz is right on for the people that this was designed for but missing the marketing boat! They really need to interview some of us late 40's crowd. Have hand issues? Weak wrists? Carpal tunnel? You'll love how you shift gears in this jet. Lightly tap a button!

Favorite Features

Automatic liftgate, hands free phone, parktronic laser letting you know if you're too close to an object when parking, power seats, quick touch cruise control and gear shifting, huge back trunk space when back seats are folded down, large spacious ride for 2nd and 3rd rows. My teens love this wagon.

Suggested Improvements

More storage up front for large map books, room for a purse or a hook, driver drink holder moved forward, pedal adjustments. Use Hyundai's Hands Free Voice system Vs MB. Include distronics, nav, dvd, leather in base package. Darker sunscreen tint on front, drivers, and front passenger windows.

Supremely Practical--with compromises
By NYC Driver Fam of 5

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Bought this car after an exhaustive research process into every car with 3 row. Did not want giant SUV (Suburban, Esalade) and biggest new Lexus did not have comfy back row. R-Class is extremely comfy in all rows. Middle row even shifts forward allowing additional room in the rear, if desired. Car runs very smoothly as one would expect from a MB. Middle row appears to have as much leg room as an S-Class and more head room. We opted for the center seat, which is good for child, but not full width. Cargo space with all seats in place is okay, but not great. Rear seats manually fold flat like a minivans. MB did away with the 5.0 litre engine. 3.5 is sluggish and a disappointment.

Favorite Features

Love the panoramic roof giving the middle and back rows a glass ceiling. Unbelievably comfy and spacious seats in all rows. Auto open/close gate is nice. Backup camera (should be standard) is good as well. Park-assist beeps when close to cars in front/back and very useful.

Suggested Improvements

3.5 litre engine is inadequate. Must've been a cost compromise, but this very large car need more power. Command (nav., radio, etc.) is small screen, not touch screen, not intuitive. Poorly designed even compared to our prev. 5-year old Lexus system. MB should be embarrassed.

Got what I was looking for
By NSIM

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We were looking for a vehicle which could accommodate a 6 member family. Test drove most of the vehicles and finally ended up on the best one. We just love the class and comfort of Mercedes. Though I am bit skeptical about the Merc's notorious reliability, everything is fine so far. It's absolutely quiet inside and got decent accelaration for such a heavy vehicle. Overall I give it a 95% score

Favorite Features

Spacious interior for comfortably seating 6 people, interior design, back up camera, park assist, bluetooth, memory seat and auto folding exterior mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Remote start, more luggage space when all 6 seats are used.

I love my R-Class
By Dorthy S.

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My previous car was an E350 MB. While I loved the handling and styling of the car, I chose the R-class for the room and seating capacity. However I was also surprised with the way the car handles and I really love the styling. I pretty much leave the rear seats down but I like knowing that they are available if needed. I love how long the cargo space is with the 2nd row laid down for extra room If I need to haul longer items. Right now with the great lease and retail programs they have on the R- class, it makes it a great value.

Favorite Features

Room, sat radio, I-pod Integration Kit 7-speed transmission, tele-aid, safety features, bucket seats, multifunction steering wheel controls, voice activation, blue tooth phone capability.

Suggested Improvements

CD ripper, module free Bluetooth, auto dimming rearview and sideview should be standard equipment.