Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Mercedes R350
By jayw5

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The Mercedes R350 is the worst car ever, visibility is poor but the car is very stable driving at high speeds. I purchased an extended warranty thinking that I was going to keep the car but I am rushing to get rid of it. The car only has 45,000 miles but have replaced the battery three times due to a faulty computer, and front shock @ 20,000 miles and the other front shock @ 40,000 miles. Each shock is $1,300 dollars, no mechanic want to touch it.

Favorite Features

The ride is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor visibility

It's Not a Minivan
By Savage

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Due to the growing size of our family a car that seated 6 or more was in order. We did not want a minivan, already had an SUV, wanted a wagon or something that drove more like a car for our long road trips to the beach. This Crossover gives everyone their own room and plenty of it with a nice smooth ride. Bought used and it was well worth the price (new was out of our league), plus it has the Warranty so Mercedes service fixes almost everything.

Favorite Features

The kids love the Panoramic Sunroof. I enjoy the roominess as I'm 6 foot 3. My wife loves the automatic liftgate, opens up with a button and the kids just climb in the back. 7-Seat option is a must. I-Pod connector is cool.

Suggested Improvements

MPG is OK Windshield wiper switch is in a can't see location. I have it memorized now.

Underrated Great Family Crossover
By yetialan

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Pro’s: I had an BMW X3 and drove the X5 along with the MDX the MB had the smoothest ride, best safety features (BMW doesn’t have third row curtin airbags), 3 rows of seating and the greatest comfort in the third row. Pricing was excellent got almost 16K off a brand new 08 and low 66 month 2.9% financing. Everything top of the line quality, metal feels thick strong and confident on the road. MB originally wanted to sell these in 06 for 60-80K. This was built to be a great cruiser like the s class. Feels like the s class and the panoramic roof is incredible. Cons: Navi not easy to use

Favorite Features

Panoramic roof, auto rear hatch, safety, drive is smooth like butter, does not rock the kids like the BMW X series models, third row can really seat adults, can still move 2nd row seats forward to get to the 3rd row with 2 baby seats in place in the 2nd row. Bumper sensors, AMG stying

Suggested Improvements

Navi is hard to use, better unpainted bumpers to prevent nicks

A good family car
By JW

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

Favorite Features

Panoramic sunroof. Sound system is good and easy to use. 3rd row seats fold down easily. Safety and comfort. More rugged than expected in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor front sight lines despite the sensors. Controls are tricky with the push btn start as well as the "behind the wheel" shift key feature, which can easily downshift while driving at high speeds. Bluetooth activation should be standard. Navigation system tedious.

R350
By BWoodward

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am coming from a 2007 Escalade ESV and have to say I had a lot of reservations about "downsizing"! We have 4 kids 2 of which in car seats and wow is all I can say about this car. I love that the 2nd row seats can move back and forth allowing for very easy access to the 3rd row which seats my 6ft plus 15 year old very nicely! The pick up is great and it is tons of fun to drive. Not too mention very pleasing to the eye to look at. I would say so far my only con is that it seems to have a lot of little things go wrong. Less then a month of owning it the steering column broke in my kids school parking lot and I could not turn the wheels which was scary to say the least.

Favorite Features

I love the interior features very simple yet very nice. It seems very durable thus far. I like the sound system and the nav features are very easy to use. I like the address book that allows for phone numbers to be entered. I love the looks of this car.

Suggested Improvements

I would say the tv system needs to be redone. I liked my ESV because it allowed for control from the driver seat.