Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Practical Luxury
By Baker

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is a beautiful car, solidly built, smooth ride, amazing sound system, super quiet. A great car for transporting people. The second row of seats have lots of leg room. People love riding in this car. A great commute car because it is a very smooth and stable ride, great handling. It is a long car, and its hard to tell where the front end is, making a little awkward to park. The best thing about this car is the price. You can pick up a used one for a fraction of the price. Be warned that after a heavy rain or snow, your "check engine" light may come on". Don't take it to the Mercedes dealer. Take it to your trusted mechanic. I did and he turned the light off, and it never came back on again. Don't fix anything unless you are sure it is broken. Seats seven passengers. All the rear seats fold flat for lots of cargo room. Nice sunroof. Love this car. I replaced my Chrysler Minivan with it. My wife loves the car. Mercedes was way ahead of its time with this design. A lot of other cars have now imitated the design, but when it came out, no one could figure it out. So it didn't sell very well. All to our benefit now. Go get one.

Mercedes R350
By jayw5

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The Mercedes R350 is the worst car ever, visibility is poor but the car is very stable driving at high speeds. I purchased an extended warranty thinking that I was going to keep the car but I am rushing to get rid of it. The car only has 45,000 miles but have replaced the battery three times due to a faulty computer, and front shock @ 20,000 miles and the other front shock @ 40,000 miles. Each shock is $1,300 dollars, no mechanic want to touch it.

The ride is comfortable.

Very poor visibility

It's Not a Minivan
By Savage

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Due to the growing size of our family a car that seated 6 or more was in order. We did not want a minivan, already had an SUV, wanted a wagon or something that drove more like a car for our long road trips to the beach. This Crossover gives everyone their own room and plenty of it with a nice smooth ride. Bought used and it was well worth the price (new was out of our league), plus it has the Warranty so Mercedes service fixes almost everything.

The kids love the Panoramic Sunroof. I enjoy the roominess as I'm 6 foot 3. My wife loves the automatic liftgate, opens up with a button and the kids just climb in the back. 7-Seat option is a must. I-Pod connector is cool.

MPG is OK Windshield wiper switch is in a can't see location. I have it memorized now.

A good family car
By JW

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

Panoramic sunroof. Sound system is good and easy to use. 3rd row seats fold down easily. Safety and comfort. More rugged than expected in the snow.

Very poor front sight lines despite the sensors. Controls are tricky with the push btn start as well as the "behind the wheel" shift key feature, which can easily downshift while driving at high speeds. Bluetooth activation should be standard. Navigation system tedious.

R350
By BWoodward

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am coming from a 2007 Escalade ESV and have to say I had a lot of reservations about "downsizing"! We have 4 kids 2 of which in car seats and wow is all I can say about this car. I love that the 2nd row seats can move back and forth allowing for very easy access to the 3rd row which seats my 6ft plus 15 year old very nicely! The pick up is great and it is tons of fun to drive. Not too mention very pleasing to the eye to look at. I would say so far my only con is that it seems to have a lot of little things go wrong. Less then a month of owning it the steering column broke in my kids school parking lot and I could not turn the wheels which was scary to say the least.

I love the interior features very simple yet very nice. It seems very durable thus far. I like the sound system and the nav features are very easy to use. I like the address book that allows for phone numbers to be entered. I love the looks of this car.

I would say the tv system needs to be redone. I liked my ESV because it allowed for control from the driver seat.

• SUV