2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

R320 CDI 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )
R320 CDI REVIEW
By DANIEL on 07/07/10 06:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Having owned 2 previous M-B Suvs (ML and GL), I can say without a doubt that this is the reliable, most comfortable and best performing of the three. The "R" is more roomy than either the ML and, yes, even the GL. It also handles better and is more pleasant on the highway. How the minivan label became attached to this model is confusing. It is not styled or functions like one. The diesel is the only engine to have as it accelerates strongly and is very frugal for a vehicle of this size. The styling was not my favorite at first, but has grown on me. It is hard to find an "R" owner that does not love their car. Resale market pricing for the diesel version is strong. Good job Mercedes!

Great car but often broken
By Lin on 07/04/10 07:00 AM (PDT)

We ordered this car new and love it. However we feel compelled to get rid of it before the warranty is over. To summarize the ills: the car has spent more than 6 weeks in the shop over 3 years. Fist the battery was changed 3 times due to faulty computer module. This model had to be changed 3 times. The engine oil pan leaked at 30,000 miles and they had to pull the trans to fix that. A wheel bearing failed. Brake rotors had to be change and now the engine is in "limp" mode and we don't know why. Routine maintenance is very expensive ($1,200 at 40,000 miles).

Diesel R-class well worth it.
By Andrew on 05/21/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

Six large adults - not a minivan or an SUV? It's the R-class. I've never had a more comfortable car.

A truly outstanding vehicle
By George H. Miller on 03/27/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

The MB R class with a CDI engine is the perfect all around vehicle forany household. It is very large and very comfortable with outstanding fuel economy for it's size because the diesel engine. Power and torque are amazing. My wife insists on driving this luxury car for her daily 45 mile commute. She pays for the fuel which averages 25 MPG overall and tops out at 27 with mostly highway travel.

For the Second Time, Bravo!
By A.Setiawan on 10/14/08 01:14 AM (PDT)

This is our 2nd R-class and our umpteenth Benz. We had a R350 and an E- class in LA and now that we've moved to Jakarta, we decided to get another one this time a 7 seater and CDI to combat Jakarta's traffic. Having first bought a Toyota Alphard here, we now find it too big for self-drives and prefer the R-class. The 7 seating version makes better sense and more practical. We've now passed-on the Alphard to the kids for their activities and keep the R-class between my partner and me. We're no longer getting an S-class since the R- class also carries a lot of panache and grandeur without being too overbearing especially when we self- drive on the weekend and during vacation and not use the drive

Best car of the World!
By Jeff on 07/17/08 02:52 AM (PDT)

We were looking for a vehicle which could accommodate a 7 member family. We love the R-class and comfort of Mercedes. It's absolutely quiet inside and got decent accelaration for such a vehicle. Overall I give it a 100% score

Love this vehicle!
By Mara on 07/10/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

We were looking for passenger room, and better fuel economy than our Suburban, and were very interested in a diesel. This vehicle looks sharp, seats 6-7 very comfortably, and I couldn't be happier driving it! We average 28 mpg with highway driving, and about 23 in town. With the back seat down, there is good storage space, and when using the back seat for passengers, no one complains about the comfort back there, as they did in the Suburban. We are thrilled with this vehicle!

Why buy the R-Class
By Sheri on 07/03/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

You'll love this vehicle if you have "tweens". Those teens that are not licensed to drive alone, so you still have to haul them and their high school buddies one or two more years. These teens have outgrown the 'soccer mom's van' and they, too, want to look cool if they are still going to have to be chauffeured by Mom or Dad. The driver will love saving your wrists and joints by just having to tap with your finger the steering column wand to change gears. 26 mpg is a deal sealer on this large vehicle. This is such a wonderful vehicle! You need to market to true baby boomers and tween families, such as I described. CALL this vehicle a WAGON... and it ain't yo' mama's wagon of the past

Outstanding New MB
By Marcia Miller on 06/05/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

This car drives and rides like a car but has large seating (7) capacity and good storage availibility for whatever. It's handling is exceptional considering its size. This is one outstanding vehicle. My R is a CDI which gives me lots of power and good mileage for a 5000+ lb. car.

Versatile luxury
By Ralph on 02/01/08 14:22 PM (PST)

At first, I went to get a 4 door sedan, therefore I was hesitant to get what I thought of as a "minivan in disguise". But the more I drive it, the more I love it! I like the way it handles both on the highway and around the city. It feels like a Mercedes Benz car not a minivan or truck. People love the back seats, and the plentiful leg room available. The diesel model, which I have, is giving me great mileage per gallon of gas. I love that the seats in the back can be arranged in different configurations, very versatile. It is very luxurious inside. The sound system is excellent.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.