2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
Mercedes R350
By jayw5 on 07/30/12 10:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The Mercedes R350 is the worst car ever, visibility is poor but the car is very stable driving at high speeds. I purchased an extended warranty thinking that I was going to keep the car but I am rushing to get rid of it. The car only has 45,000 miles but have replaced the battery three times due to a faulty computer, and front shock @ 20,000 miles and the other front shock @ 40,000 miles. Each shock is $1,300 dollars, no mechanic want to touch it.

R320 CDI REVIEW
By DANIEL on 07/07/10 06:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Having owned 2 previous M-B Suvs (ML and GL), I can say without a doubt that this is the reliable, most comfortable and best performing of the three. The "R" is more roomy than either the ML and, yes, even the GL. It also handles better and is more pleasant on the highway. How the minivan label became attached to this model is confusing. It is not styled or functions like one. The diesel is the only engine to have as it accelerates strongly and is very frugal for a vehicle of this size. The styling was not my favorite at first, but has grown on me. It is hard to find an "R" owner that does not love their car. Resale market pricing for the diesel version is strong. Good job Mercedes!

Great car but often broken
By Lin on 07/04/10 07:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We ordered this car new and love it. However we feel compelled to get rid of it before the warranty is over. To summarize the ills: the car has spent more than 6 weeks in the shop over 3 years. Fist the battery was changed 3 times due to faulty computer module. This model had to be changed 3 times. The engine oil pan leaked at 30,000 miles and they had to pull the trans to fix that. A wheel bearing failed. Brake rotors had to be change and now the engine is in "limp" mode and we don't know why. Routine maintenance is very expensive ($1,200 at 40,000 miles).

Diesel R-class well worth it.
By Andrew on 05/21/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Six large adults - not a minivan or an SUV? It's the R-class. I've never had a more comfortable car.

A truly outstanding vehicle
By George H. Miller on 03/27/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

The MB R class with a CDI engine is the perfect all around vehicle forany household. It is very large and very comfortable with outstanding fuel economy for it's size because the diesel engine. Power and torque are amazing. My wife insists on driving this luxury car for her daily 45 mile commute. She pays for the fuel which averages 25 MPG overall and tops out at 27 with mostly highway travel.

It's Not a Minivan
By Savage on 05/01/09 22:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Due to the growing size of our family a car that seated 6 or more was in order. We did not want a minivan, already had an SUV, wanted a wagon or something that drove more like a car for our long road trips to the beach. This Crossover gives everyone their own room and plenty of it with a nice smooth ride. Bought used and it was well worth the price (new was out of our league), plus it has the Warranty so Mercedes service fixes almost everything.

A good family car
By JW on 04/27/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

R350
By BWoodward on 12/31/08 06:50 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am coming from a 2007 Escalade ESV and have to say I had a lot of reservations about "downsizing"! We have 4 kids 2 of which in car seats and wow is all I can say about this car. I love that the 2nd row seats can move back and forth allowing for very easy access to the 3rd row which seats my 6ft plus 15 year old very nicely! The pick up is great and it is tons of fun to drive. Not too mention very pleasing to the eye to look at. I would say so far my only con is that it seems to have a lot of little things go wrong. Less then a month of owning it the steering column broke in my kids school parking lot and I could not turn the wheels which was scary to say the least.

For the Second Time, Bravo!
By A.Setiawan on 10/14/08 01:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This is our 2nd R-class and our umpteenth Benz. We had a R350 and an E- class in LA and now that we've moved to Jakarta, we decided to get another one this time a 7 seater and CDI to combat Jakarta's traffic. Having first bought a Toyota Alphard here, we now find it too big for self-drives and prefer the R-class. The 7 seating version makes better sense and more practical. We've now passed-on the Alphard to the kids for their activities and keep the R-class between my partner and me. We're no longer getting an S-class since the R- class also carries a lot of panache and grandeur without being too overbearing especially when we self- drive on the weekend and during vacation and not use the drive

Underrated Great Family Crossover
By yetialan on 09/10/08 21:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Pro’s: I had an BMW X3 and drove the X5 along with the MDX the MB had the smoothest ride, best safety features (BMW doesn’t have third row curtin airbags), 3 rows of seating and the greatest comfort in the third row. Pricing was excellent got almost 16K off a brand new 08 and low 66 month 2.9% financing. Everything top of the line quality, metal feels thick strong and confident on the road. MB originally wanted to sell these in 06 for 60-80K. This was built to be a great cruiser like the s class. Feels like the s class and the panoramic roof is incredible. Cons: Navi not easy to use

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.