Great family vehicle; beast in the hills
By DSpike on
2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
Great family vehicle with lots of room and fantastic comfort when cruising on the highway. Low rating on "Fun-to- Drive" because frankly this car/van/stationwagon/crossover isn't intended to be fun to drive the way a sedan might. It's a safe, roomy, family vehicle with style. That said, I will confess that the diesel engine makes this vehicle a beast in the mountains. We live in Colorado and it is sometimes mind- boggling to me how easily this car climbs steep grades. I will say that snow handling was very poor with the original tires, but once replaced became respectable. Fuel economy for this size vehicle is also very respectable. Overall 24-25 mpg. (Around town 19; Highway 27).
Favorite Features
Roominess, front and rear parking sensors, power rear hatch, diesel engine power and mpg.
Suggested Improvements
We paid $2000 for the nav system. While it works well, it is a horrible user experience. No touch screen. Frankly a $150 Garmin unit runs circles around this unit in terms of ease-of-use. Stunning to me given a 50K car + 2K option. We like the extended sunroof, but produces a lot of wind noise.