fantastic, safe, comfortable people hauler. Reliability issues
By fgxtom on
2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
I love this car. We took it on a 4000 mile family rip a month after buying it. It is the most comfortable people hauler I have ever driven or ridden in. For people hauling it can not be topped. It gets fair mileage. I had the Yakima swingman 4 bike rack on it with 4 large bikes. We still averaged 25 mpg at 70 to 75 mph. As I said this thing hauls people, but it has little room for luggage. You will either need a cargo hauler, or the carry all for a receiver. We crammed our stuff in duffle bags for our 7 day trip.
Favorite Features
MPG for a large, safe car is fantastic. I have gotten 29 on a solo 1000 mile trip averaging 75 mph. People room. This car easily seats 6 full sized adult men. The interior holds up fantastic. Before we bought this one, we test drove one with 100,000 miles. The leather looked new. Too bad they did not design the electrical system with the same thoughtfulness.
Suggested Improvements
The R-class, and any Mercedes with the 4-matic 722.9 7 speed transmission has a valve body CPU issue. This issue will cost between $900-$2000 to repair. Almost all of them have the issue, and Mercedes service departments are very familiar with the issue. The cost variance is due to some models only require replacing the CPU, others require replacing the whole valve body. Now the real issue is a $5 contact in the computer, but you can not just replace that part. The second common problem is leaking air bags in the air ride. Now even if you R-class does not have the full air ride it will have the load leveling rear air bags. Nearly all of these develop leak issues. I am out of room to list mo