Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

R320 CDI 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

fantastic, safe, comfortable people hauler. Reliability issues
By fgxtom

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Diesel R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I love this car. We took it on a 4000 mile family rip a month after buying it. It is the most comfortable people hauler I have ever driven or ridden in. For people hauling it can not be topped. It gets fair mileage. I had the Yakima swingman 4 bike rack on it with 4 large bikes. We still averaged 25 mpg at 70 to 75 mph. As I said this thing hauls people, but it has little room for luggage. You will either need a cargo hauler, or the carry all for a receiver. We crammed our stuff in duffle bags for our 7 day trip.

MPG for a large, safe car is fantastic. I have gotten 29 on a solo 1000 mile trip averaging 75 mph. People room. This car easily seats 6 full sized adult men. The interior holds up fantastic. Before we bought this one, we test drove one with 100,000 miles. The leather looked new. Too bad they did not design the electrical system with the same thoughtfulness.

The R-class, and any Mercedes with the 4-matic 722.9 7 speed transmission has a valve body CPU issue. This issue will cost between $900-$2000 to repair. Almost all of them have the issue, and Mercedes service departments are very familiar with the issue. The cost variance is due to some models only require replacing the CPU, others require replacing the whole valve body. Now the real issue is a $5 contact in the computer, but you can not just replace that part. The second common problem is leaking air bags in the air ride. Now even if you R-class does not have the full air ride it will have the load leveling rear air bags. Nearly all of these develop leak issues. I am out of room to list mo

Superior Safety, Excellent Economy, Comfort for Six.
By rclasscdi

I researched every vehicle that would seat 6 adults. The rear seats in most SUVs do not accommodate adults. In contrast, the R-class rear seats are perfectly comfortable and roomy for full-sized adults. The only vehicles that equal the R-class for access and comfort for 6 adults are minivans. The diesel engine is amazing. We get 28-30 mpg on trips. Power is plentiful, except from a dead stop, due to minor turbo lag. If you plan to dart away from each stop light, then go with the R500. Otherwise, you will love the CDI and the additional 10+ mpg. Ultimately I chose the R-class because it had the best combination of safety, luxury features and comfortable room for 6 adults.

I have every option, including Distronic Cruise, Keyless Go, Air Suspension, Voice Control, etc. I appreciate the thought and engineering that went into each feature. Rear passengers love the panorama room. I appreciate knowing my family is in such a safe vehicle (crash survivability, all-wheel-drive, etc). As an added bonus, I also greatly appreciate getting 28-30 mpg on road trips, especially considering this car weighs 5000+ lbs. An excellent car overall.

None

Plagued with problems.
By Lou

Nice car, purchased it for the Diesel engine and 6 passenger capacity. Overall, experience has been poor during and out of warranty. Engine stopped completely at highway speed on 3 separate occasions. 1st time was fuel pump, second time fuel sending unit and third time was crankshaft sensor. Seems like this model has problems with electrical (replace light bulbs every 2 - 3 months), airmatic suspension goes into error mode. We have spent over 6K$ in repairs since the car has been out of warranty. Unfortunately this is one purchase decision that I regret making.

Seating for 6. Fuel consumption for a large car is good.

Quality, reliability. Mercedes needs to fix the problems once out of warranty if it looks like they are related to a problem you encountered multiple time under warranty. It's very expensive to fix once you pass the 50K miles compared to our other MBs.

R 320 CDI
By Philip Tworek

This has got to be the best vehicle in it's crossover class. For the growing family that wants the wagon but not the van you can't beat the R- class. Definitely buy with all the options, then you never look back and regret what you didn't get. The ride is very smooth and yet in the corners it handles pretty tight. The panoramic rooftop is for sure a thing of wonder. This is a definate purchase for the folks wanting great gas efficiency along with great looks and quality. Performs like a true diesel but if you put your foot on the gas there are some ponies under the hood to be discovered.

Panoramic roof, 4-matic, built in everything, 6 seats for real adults! Diesel power rules

Sporty seats like the GL to go along with the killer exterior styling and class should be standard.

Great family vehicle; beast in the hills
By DSpike

Great family vehicle with lots of room and fantastic comfort when cruising on the highway. Low rating on "Fun-to- Drive" because frankly this car/van/stationwagon/crossover isn't intended to be fun to drive the way a sedan might. It's a safe, roomy, family vehicle with style. That said, I will confess that the diesel engine makes this vehicle a beast in the mountains. We live in Colorado and it is sometimes mind- boggling to me how easily this car climbs steep grades. I will say that snow handling was very poor with the original tires, but once replaced became respectable. Fuel economy for this size vehicle is also very respectable. Overall 24-25 mpg. (Around town 19; Highway 27).

Roominess, front and rear parking sensors, power rear hatch, diesel engine power and mpg.

We paid $2000 for the nav system. While it works well, it is a horrible user experience. No touch screen. Frankly a $150 Garmin unit runs circles around this unit in terms of ease-of-use. Stunning to me given a 50K car + 2K option. We like the extended sunroof, but produces a lot of wind noise.