Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

R500
By Christian

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Bought it in aug of 2009 at 7,300 miles from a private party. Window sticker showed $68k msrp (loaded with options). Personally don't think the car worth that much. But buying it used at less than half what it stickered, it makes it a great deal. My first MB. Have had 3 bmws, 2 Lexus. Was a little worried about reliability but so far it's been bullet proof at 20k miles. Car rides nice and smooth (too smooth I think). Great on trips with 2 small children with dvd in back. Extremely comfortable overall. I just hope it stays reliable after warranty. Gets about 14.5 mpg with suburb driving and up to 19 if on hwy all the way. Not too bad for 5.0 motor

Favorite Features

extremely comfortable. not too many people have it. gigantic sunroof. very roomy. 2 DVD screen.

Suggested Improvements

car feels too big and boring to drive, so better handling. looks ok from the front but ugly from the back, sharper exterior.

Not bad - could be better
By exV70R driver

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have 4 small children and I needed a car that would seat all of us. I must admit I wasn't thrilled with the looks of the car and considered it only because it would hold everyone in relative comfort and because the 2008s were on the way and the dealerships had boatloads to get rid of in late July. Having come from a Volvo V70R, I had to have the V8 and not the V6. While the R500 is a great choice for someone with 4 kids, it is nowhere near as responsive or fun to drive as the Volvo. To be fair, the V70R is the Sport version and the R500 has never pretended to be remotely sporty - unless you want to lay down 80 large for the AMG version. After all, its a glorified minivan/station wagon.

Favorite Features

I like the integrated radio/phone system.

Suggested Improvements

Include Bluetooth module instead of selling it as $400 addon aftermaket option. Move cruisecontrol farther from turn signal. Fix defective rear hatch issue. All and all the vehicle is fine. I expected more from MB coming from a Volvo. MB expects you to pay for many items that should be standard

Almost 1 year old and still in love!
By David

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am one of those crazies who trades every year. This vehicle may finally be the one that passes the year mark for me. Perfect ride, perfect power. Still one of the freshest looks out there in the sea of bland auto designs. No, I still haven't gotten use to the minivan stigma, but boy once they ride in it, the critics convert quickly. Interesting that other makers are rushing this look to market. Can't wait to see what MB does at mid-cycle to freshen the front end.

Favorite Features

Panoramic roof, satellite HK radio, ride quality, powerful V8, did I mention ride quality!

Suggested Improvements

Better more modern nav system, more standard features that even Nissans have (e.g., xenons, 6CD in dash, Parktronic). 2008 improves frontend slightly, but need mid-cycle freshening to look like 2004 concept vehicle to spice it up a bit!