2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2007 R-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

fantastic, safe, comfortable people hauler. Reliability issues
By fgxtom

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I love this car. We took it on a 4000 mile family rip a month after buying it. It is the most comfortable people hauler I have ever driven or ridden in. For people hauling it can not be topped. It gets fair mileage. I had the Yakima swingman 4 bike rack on it with 4 large bikes. We still averaged 25 mpg at 70 to 75 mph. As I said this thing hauls people, but it has little room for luggage. You will either need a cargo hauler, or the carry all for a receiver. We crammed our stuff in duffle bags for our 7 day trip.

Favorite Features

MPG for a large, safe car is fantastic. I have gotten 29 on a solo 1000 mile trip averaging 75 mph. People room. This car easily seats 6 full sized adult men. The interior holds up fantastic. Before we bought this one, we test drove one with 100,000 miles. The leather looked new. Too bad they did not design the electrical system with the same thoughtfulness.

Suggested Improvements

The R-class, and any Mercedes with the 4-matic 722.9 7 speed transmission has a valve body CPU issue. This issue will cost between $900-$2000 to repair. Almost all of them have the issue, and Mercedes service departments are very familiar with the issue. The cost variance is due to some models only require replacing the CPU, others require replacing the whole valve body. Now the real issue is a $5 contact in the computer, but you can not just replace that part. The second common problem is leaking air bags in the air ride. Now even if you R-class does not have the full air ride it will have the load leveling rear air bags. Nearly all of these develop leak issues. I am out of room to list mo

Just purchased car 4 month ago and PROBLEMS already!!! HELP
By msbenz1105

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Im a 1st Mercedes buyer that had my eyes on the r350 since I saw it for the first time 2 yrs ago. I told myself that car will be my next purchase and so i decided to get rid of my 2000 Lexus GS300 that I had for 10 yrs and LOVED and buy the R350. Excited and pleased with my new purchase until about 2 weeks ago. My SRS indicator lit up( and is still on just out of no where), my ac System continue to stay on and blow air after car is off and key out, sometimes don't even turn the ac on and fan still runs?? And now my battery dies everyday. Had to just start it for the last 4 days...Has any one every had any of these problems, please reply back.

Nothing but regret!!!!
By funandfamily

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

used 2007 R350. Did my homework but went against my gut and intelligence and bought a clean used r350 with 51k on it. Had the MB dealer check it out, check the codes..& 200plus to be extra careful. the history was good, so I bought the giant car my wife liked. I even forked out $400 to have the trans serviced to be extra thoughtful. Every two weeks since it goes to the dealer. One expensive thing after another. Power steering unit $1,100.00 Gas vapor purge valve $500.00 plus. Peeling rubber coating on controls... Now HVAC control stuck on full heat... Conclusion. It is not about the model, it is about MB's now third world manufacturing and reliability! ForSale

Favorite Features

Big and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Reliability or a longer warranty. Quality over Quantity once again??

MUST READ!!! - Cash Test
By usarmy89delta

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

After reading some review Ive decided to write my own. In 2008 I bought for my spouse an R350 4Matic. We drove it and took it on trips all the time and never gave us any trouble (except a few blown lights) and eventually put close to 40k miles on it. On June 2010 my wife was driving in the city with both our kids when an elderly lady wich had a suspended licence drove right into her lane (she crashed head on). When I arrived I saw the car totalled but my wife and kids with out a scratch on. The car's crash alert system had been activated (it moved the drivers seat all the way forward, it moved the steering wheel, cut the engine and even placed the hazards lights on).

Favorite Features

My dad always told me that a car is just a car that takes you from point A to point B. But on this day I realized why we crazy MB owners pay what we pay, safety and peace of mind. So here I am about to purchase my 2nd R-Class.

Not the Mercedes I previously owned
By ruth20

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Over $6000.00 in repairs in one year. Suspension, computer, and had to order a new key fob after the two that came with the R350 wore out, $180.00 for a new one, and it is made quite well and will probably outlast the wagon Had a 94 S500 and it didn't need anything done until it was 11 years old. Thought they were all made like that one. No, now if you own a Mercedes, you better have deep pockets

Favorite Features

Size, Style,Comfort

Suggested Improvements

More gadgets should come on this one at no cost. Probably should have specialized people putting them together. The problems are just agonizing.

Poor Warranty from Mercedes Benz
By nvbusa

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Who would ever think you would need to replace a bumper seal?? My R350 apparently did and MB will not cover it. Poor craftsmanship I say. The seal went causing rain water to run into the seal and in the trunk, where the computer is causing it to short out. Now I am stuck with a $2,500.00 repair bill. My first and last Mercedes. Since they will NOT cover such a repair. It's not like a wear and tear item that I should have replaced. Not to mention the other 4 times it was towed in for electrical and computer issues. Leaving my wife and kids stranded on the highway. Mercedes Benz VERY POOR warranty choice.

Favorite Features

Comfort inside

Suggested Improvements

FIx all electrical issues. Warranty items that are not wear and tear items. Would anyone ever replace a bumper seal?

Superior Safety, Excellent Economy, Comfort for Six.
By rclasscdi

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I researched every vehicle that would seat 6 adults. The rear seats in most SUVs do not accommodate adults. In contrast, the R-class rear seats are perfectly comfortable and roomy for full-sized adults. The only vehicles that equal the R-class for access and comfort for 6 adults are minivans. The diesel engine is amazing. We get 28-30 mpg on trips. Power is plentiful, except from a dead stop, due to minor turbo lag. If you plan to dart away from each stop light, then go with the R500. Otherwise, you will love the CDI and the additional 10+ mpg. Ultimately I chose the R-class because it had the best combination of safety, luxury features and comfortable room for 6 adults.

Favorite Features

I have every option, including Distronic Cruise, Keyless Go, Air Suspension, Voice Control, etc. I appreciate the thought and engineering that went into each feature. Rear passengers love the panorama room. I appreciate knowing my family is in such a safe vehicle (crash survivability, all-wheel-drive, etc). As an added bonus, I also greatly appreciate getting 28-30 mpg on road trips, especially considering this car weighs 5000+ lbs. An excellent car overall.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great Car, when it is not at the dealer
By Joe

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Incredible comfortable mile eater. More rear legroom that an S class. 3.5 l engine struggles a little with the weight of the vehicle but performance is fine. Bought a CPO 2 years old with 25,000 miles on the clock . In 12 months has been back to the dealership 5 times for unscheduled visits. Crankshaft Position sensor , running out of fuel while indicating at least half a tank 3 times, both axles replaced due to noise on turning. Officially Mercedes Benz has refused to but back the vehicle because 5 visits in a year is acceptable. And I thought I was buying a premium German Vehicle! And guess where the car is today, back at the dealer to have the ball joints replaced.

Favorite Features

Comfort Smooth Eats up the miles

Suggested Improvements

A large dose of reliability perhaps. Is that asking too much in a premium German automobile?

R500
By Christian

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Bought it in aug of 2009 at 7,300 miles from a private party. Window sticker showed $68k msrp (loaded with options). Personally don't think the car worth that much. But buying it used at less than half what it stickered, it makes it a great deal. My first MB. Have had 3 bmws, 2 Lexus. Was a little worried about reliability but so far it's been bullet proof at 20k miles. Car rides nice and smooth (too smooth I think). Great on trips with 2 small children with dvd in back. Extremely comfortable overall. I just hope it stays reliable after warranty. Gets about 14.5 mpg with suburb driving and up to 19 if on hwy all the way. Not too bad for 5.0 motor

Favorite Features

extremely comfortable. not too many people have it. gigantic sunroof. very roomy. 2 DVD screen.

Suggested Improvements

car feels too big and boring to drive, so better handling. looks ok from the front but ugly from the back, sharper exterior.

Plagued with problems.
By Lou

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R320 CDI 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Nice car, purchased it for the Diesel engine and 6 passenger capacity. Overall, experience has been poor during and out of warranty. Engine stopped completely at highway speed on 3 separate occasions. 1st time was fuel pump, second time fuel sending unit and third time was crankshaft sensor. Seems like this model has problems with electrical (replace light bulbs every 2 - 3 months), airmatic suspension goes into error mode. We have spent over 6K$ in repairs since the car has been out of warranty. Unfortunately this is one purchase decision that I regret making.

Favorite Features

Seating for 6. Fuel consumption for a large car is good.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, reliability. Mercedes needs to fix the problems once out of warranty if it looks like they are related to a problem you encountered multiple time under warranty. It's very expensive to fix once you pass the 50K miles compared to our other MBs.