Unreliable S
By mrsgrace on
2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)
Purchased this car 2.5 years ago. The car was a 2006 with 45K miles. After only 2.5 years of driving this used car the Transmission tanked, just shut down. I was told by the mechanic at the dealer that a part inside was broken and it would cost $6,000 to fix - I thought i was getting a bargain purchasing this car for $19000 with only 40k miles, what a mistake. Prior to the transmission going the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Gas guzzler too, costs me $100 a week to fill it up!
Favorite Features
I reviewed just about all SUVs with 3rd Row option and this had the roomiest, reason why i purchased.
Suggested Improvements
Total remake of the suspension and transmission as several people all experience the same problems, has to be a manufacture glitch. Also adjust MPG so we don't have to spend a fortune on gas.
By sabbadoo32
on 07/09/14 17:19 PM (PDT)

I've got to stick up for the boys at Stuttgart. We bought our R Certified Pre-owned with 30k miles. We're at 63k, and just had our Service C. I was looking for detail on these scheduled services and saw this. We've had little to no problem with our R. We love it. It has the space we need to haul me, her, our kid and all of our stuff around. We haven't had the horror stories others commenting have. I suppose if I did, I'd come here to complain as well. The thing we did, and will do as long as we own an MB is get the extended warranties. They come in handy. When we do have a problem, it's 95% covered. We had one problem with a joint in the driver front tire. Covered completely. One satisfied MB owner.