No Buyer's Remorse
By Richard Poe on
2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)
I drove a Suburban (or some version of it) for 15 years, and was ready for a smaller, more driver friendly car. This is it. The V8 is great, mileage a surprising 19/22, and I love the handling and responsiveness compared to the suburban. It's so aerodynamic, I can't feel a gust when I meet an 18 wheeler. While storage is not what I was used to (how could it be?) it is still very good. This car had 7000 miles (put in service 1/07). It was CPO and I bought 1 extra year ($1595), gave me 5 1/2 yr, 100,000 warranty. Paid less for it than my last Denali XL, and feel I got a lot more car. It is sure more fun to drive.
Favorite Features
Engine response and handling are great. Kids love the panorama sunroof. I like the looks of it, minivan or not. I must be the exact market target, because it is exactly what we needed, a 4wd people (and stuff) hauler that drives like a sedan and looks pretty classy. Mileage was a surprising plus.
Suggested Improvements
Visibility can be poor, the large headrests and door pillars can create blind spots and I'd like to see the front end as I drive, it just disappears. I wish I could open the trunk from further away with the remote. The Nav system, while good, isn't as user friendly as some (needs a touch screen).