2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Review: I was warned.

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Review

I was warned.
By Fast Ed on

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have met a lot of former Benz owners. I didn't believe them when they said stay away. For the money, this car spends way too much time in the shop. We had one dead key requiring a 2 hour replacement drive, one dead ignition switch requiring a tow. Headlights that short out when the car is off. Many electrical gremlins. Service engine light always on (they tell me it is fine). Great looking car, lot's of room, but if you can't trust it to get home, what good is it? Maybe the last 6 cars we owned (all American I might add) we just got lucky and they never broke. Buyer beware. I would be real leary of buying a used one. Make sure you live close to the Benz dealer.

Favorite Features

It does take 6 6' adults easily. It handles snow remarkably well. Second row is the most comfortable. The cruise control is cool to use.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is. They can't make it any less complicated or reliant on a mind boggling array of electronics. If you could just start it and drive it and only have to do oil changes,it would be a great car.