Big Mistake! Least Reliable Car I've ever owned!
By nolemonsplease on
2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)
Just bought this car in March '13. The car is a 2006 with 68K miles. During the test drive everything was running smooth and we fell in love with the car, (more the interior than the exterior) The car almost looks like a Minivan but it grows on you. After 3 months of driving this used car the Transmission pooped out on us. It cost $1,500 to fix and we did not take it to the dealer (this was the cheaper mechanic option) Now the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Can't wait to find out how much new air shocks will cost but I'm assuming it will not be cheap. Gas guzzler too!
Favorite Features
All the bells and whistle inside are absolute luxury. Very comfortable, third row is a plus, specially for families with 2 or more children. You have the benefits of a minivan with the look of a crossover. The double sunroof looks nice. Harman Kardon sound system is very nice. Automatic rear hatch is handy when your hands are fool.
Suggested Improvements
MPGs are at best 18mpg Premium Only! Apparently many people are having the same problems with the suspension and transmission problems amongst other things. There are way too many problems going wrong mechanically and they are not cheap. I'm looking to trade it in already at a major loss to me because I don't trust the car or its reputation. We thought we got a bargain at $16,000 but looks like the joke is on me. It is not worth it even if they give you the car for free! I would not recommend this or any other Mercedes for that matter. I've owned, BMW, Dodge, VW, Nissan, Infiniti, Chevy, etc! and none have ever given me the problems this car is giving me in three months! Stay Away!