Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Chode's car
By chode

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car to drive. Ride is smooth without feeling floaty. Our car has the airmatic suspension. Sport mode is pretty harsh but the other two modes provide a very nice ride. Interior quality is superb. Forward visibility is excellent. Rearward visisbility is not the best, a backup camera should be standard, but it is not even available. Overall I really like it. It looks different from most other cars on the road. It is a very versitile design. In 2007 mercedes benz offered the 550 motor in some of their line ups. This car with that 550 motor would be awesome. I know the AMG version is out there, but at almost 90 grand it too much bread.

Very comfortable seats, the Bi-zenon headlights are the brightest I've ever seen. It's no sports car, but I think it is still fun to drive. It handles well even for a car that is supposedly longer than an Escalade. The interior is first class, some controls take some getting used to, but I likey!

As mentioned before a backup camera would be useful. Put the new 550 motor in it. And some how get better gas mileage out of it. Then it's just world peace,feed the hungry, and develope hydrogen power for everyone.

R350 is a great car.
By Scott

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is our first MB and we are very happy with it. Excellent ride quality, beautiful interior, smooth drivetrain, and extremely comfortable seats. I had difficulty getting my wife interested in a wagon much less a MB. But, after taking her to the dealership she quickly reconized that this is a great family vehicle. The 6 cylinder is adequate and fun to drive but not fast.

The two-screen entertainment system is fantastic. Power tailgate is great. The is a very spacious vehicle that can easily carry six adults in comfort.

It is a long vehicle and can take a little time to get used to parking it (the parktronic works great and is recommended). Watch out for the MB all-weather mats. They are magnets for shoe scuffs. The fabric mats handle use much better.

The un-minivan
By Matthew

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Coming up on 13k on our R350. My wife and I love it, as do our two kids. We aspire to own only one car at a time, and this is the perfect choice -- great for hauling around the kids and their friends, but dignified enough for adult occasions. Plus it is remarkably fun to drive for such a massive vehicle. We've had it for more than a year now, and I still enjoy getting behind the wheel and going on long drives. Handling and acceleration are very good (considering the length and weight of the vehicle), brakes are excellent, and the ride is smooth. It's a mystery to me why MB hasn't made more of an effort to market this car. Yes, it's expensive, but for families like ours, it's perfect.

Parktronic is essential. Do not buy this car without it. Nav interface is something only a German engineer could love, but you get used to it. Info display in driver's console is useful. Power liftgate seems frivolous at first, but turns out to be quite handy. HK sound system is excellent.

The fact that memory seats are optional on a car this expensive is outrageous. MB might want to consider a bench option for the second row, to fit three across. Nav interface needs to be updated to touchscreen. Driver's seat is a touch on the stiff side. Needs more Bluetooth integration options.

My Problems with MB of N.A.
By DNK

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Better than expected ride and handling. Great for road trips. MPG are better than advertised. But lacks nice wheels/rims. I did an upgrade, makes all the difference in making the vehicle look much sportier.

Bi-Xenon headlights.

Larger and nicer wheel styles. More interior color choices, ash is too light, black too dark. Too much windshield glare.

Best car I ever had
By caygirl

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have had the BMW X5, and 325Ci and the Porsche Cayenne, and this is the best car I have had by far. It is practical, comfortable, and well appointed. My husband has the Mercedes S class and is happy to get in and drive it with our two kids in the back and nanny or other passenger in the third row. Everyone is happy and comfy. I strongly recommend this car if you need seating for more than 4. Fast too. Caveat: Parktronic is a must!

6 captain's chairs. Drives smooth and comfortable for all passengers.

Digital clock in the center console. Better nav. Bluetooth standard.