2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
RClass gets the nod from this bimmerfile
By DRW on 07/10/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My wife and I love our X5 but with two kids (3 and 4)we were busting at the seams. We drove a Honda minivan first and then the R350 on a whim -- in our view, the R offers 85% of minivan functionality but feels 250% more refined. So, we snaped one up on an manufacturer subsidized lease, (monthly pmts less than a Honda!) and immediately packed up the family for a trip to the NC mountains where we drove 40 miles up and down hills with switchbacks that would have made me sweat even in my BMW 330i. The R inspired confidence and never lost composure even when late braking on decreasing radius turns going down a steep grade! To me, this represents a level of active safety that few can match.

The quickest family hauler for six.
By Laurenz Peschke on 07/10/06 10:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Our requirements: comfort and room for 5 (3 kids, ages 5, 8, 10) plus dog, power, versatility for different needs; all-wheel drive, useful as commuter and travel vehicle. Went on two 800 mile trips, packed 4 people, their stuff, took the lab to the kennel, and continued the trip to pick up the other two incl. their stuff from camp without a roof carrier: it all fit. The R500 has superb handling, performance, and comfort for a vehicle this size. Even the kids prefer our R over our MDX. Gas mileage is better than advertised. I got 20.3 mpg over 300 miles at avg 64mph, including 40 miles city driving. Normal, passive town driving: 16mpg; aggressive: 13mpg. Love the design inside/out.

Lemon
By Matt on 06/30/06 00:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We leased the car in Feb. We have had nothing but problems. The lifters in the engine had to be replaced because the engine knocked.They didn't fix it and they wanted to replace the blocks. The transmission wouldn't shift right. They had to replace the fuel lines which took forever becuase they came from Germany. They finally are taking the car back. I dont think all Mercedes vehicles are bad but you get lemons in anything. We bought this one because our last Mercedes S400 was totalled in a flood after we owned it for a month. We must be destined not to own a Mercedes . Still liked the styling of the car, the comfort and versitility.

Almost perfect
By rickkiboi on 06/27/06 14:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I love this vehicle! Also own an '02 C240 & an '06 ML350. This is an all- out luxury people mover! Comfortable and roomy front and 2nd row seating, 3rd row is great too if you're 6ft and under. Performance is very good, and is great if you learn to use the "finger- shifter" on the steering wheel. Very fun to drive short or long distance. Fuel economy is not bad considering it's weight and very quiet smooth ride. At first sight some say "mini-van." This is truly a cross between an SUV and wagon...haven't meet an R-Class owner yet who deems this a "MV." The more you look, the more you like. Interior appointments are that of the ML than say a sedan. Clearly Mercedes built!

First 1000 Miles ( True Highway Cruiser)
By Happy Owner on 06/27/06 13:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

We just completed our first road trip in our new Mercedes R500. Our experience with the vehicle has been outstanding. We traded in a 2004 Acura MDX because we needed more rear seat space and the R500 clearly delivers. It motors the six of us comfortably and safely. We actually went to the dealership to look at the new GL 450 but were impressed with the size and quality of the R500. Our R500 drives and handles solidly and is good in town and on the highway. Since picking up our R500 we have averaged 17.1 mpg in combined driving and got just over 20 mpg on the highway in Sport Mode. We have only seen one other Mercedes R- Class on the road since purchasing ours almost two weeks ago.

Great car- just looks a little different
By Mozart on 06/21/06 12:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My husband first saw the car on-line and immediately loved the styling. I wasn't as sold on it as he was but he talked me into taking it for a test drive. I'm glad he did! We love the car and all the room. The kids love it too.

Cruiser
By gvitalik on 06/21/06 10:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Bought it because looks different than anything on the road. Switched from Infiniti FX which I loved and what a difference in Mercedes. Less sporty, but a lot more stable, user and practical. Always correct people from calling it a minivan as I am too young for one. Mercedes had great deals in May on these because of slow sales and I could not refuse when I got a payment of $20 more vs. FX with less down on a vehicle that cost $61K. Memorial Day weekend took it from SF Bay Area to Southern California and enjoyed the whole ride with airmatic. With speeds over 85 it just glides comparing to my FX where every bump was felt. Panoramic roof is outstanding

Practical Luxury
By JB on 06/06/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

16 Months ago the third child came along! We need a Minivan. I'm not gonna drive it! You gonna drive it? No way! Brought the ML in for scheduled visit and this "Huge Wagon" is sitting in the showroom. Wow!! Some what like a minivan. (Just don't call it one...the sales staff gets offended). It is so car-like you forget you've got the whole family with you!! The girls love to sit in the way back and look for birds and planes! The little man sits high in the second row and sees everything! I love the shift lever simplicity. Dash is elegant yet simple. Nav wonderful. Gas mileage is what I expected. Comfort and quietness among the best. If you can afford it, you cannot beat it!

Non riot hearse
By Susie Meader on 06/03/06 07:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This vehicle is excellent. A great family vehicle without owning another SUV. Has enough room for a family of 6. Quite comfortable for adults as well. I kind of wish I would have gotten the R500 just because of the zip, but once you get going, it is great. I have nothing bad to say about this vehicle.

Design Problem
By Jolly Roger on 06/02/06 07:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Excellent ride with better than expected fuel economy. 22Mpg @ 80/85 MPH. Problem is attempting to parallel park. There is no way to see the front end when parking, you just have to guess how close you are to anything that might be in front of you. Difficult to find a vechicle in stock with Parkatronic, unless you want a black interior.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.