Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Our second lemon!
By Our SECOND LEMON!!!

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

First we had R350. Gave that back w/in 1st mo.-too many probs w/transmission, thumping noise in rear when going over bumps, back hatch, & electrical probs. Upgraded 2 R500. Trans/electrical/back hatch (even after replacment)/srs sys/ nav sys & more! Car has keyless go-it started without a key twice! Several times after backing up, verifying car was in drive position, I pressed gas to go forward but car went backwards. Automatic trans.& rolls backwds like manual going up hills. Auto shifting between gears is jerky. It lurches forward when stepping on brake. It's been lemon lawed. People say "bad luck". No-bad car! Roadside assist. Came out 2 me 3 different times in 3 bad r350 loaners! Save yourself trouble

Keep it around
By brubon

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is the best Mercedes on the highhway for comfort and drivability. Plenty of room inside for 6 adults comfortably, and as fuel efficient as my old Acura MDX...and it's a V8. Great vehicle.

Plenty of room and comfort

I was warned.
By Fast Ed

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have met a lot of former Benz owners. I didn't believe them when they said stay away. For the money, this car spends way too much time in the shop. We had one dead key requiring a 2 hour replacement drive, one dead ignition switch requiring a tow. Headlights that short out when the car is off. Many electrical gremlins. Service engine light always on (they tell me it is fine). Great looking car, lot's of room, but if you can't trust it to get home, what good is it? Maybe the last 6 cars we owned (all American I might add) we just got lucky and they never broke. Buyer beware. I would be real leary of buying a used one. Make sure you live close to the Benz dealer.

It does take 6 6' adults easily. It handles snow remarkably well. Second row is the most comfortable. The cruise control is cool to use.

It is what it is. They can't make it any less complicated or reliant on a mind boggling array of electronics. If you could just start it and drive it and only have to do oil changes,it would be a great car.

Gefahr! -Danger, may be addicting!
By Ronnie Reyes

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my first MB and I came from a Durango LTD w/ the big V8 hemi. While torque and outright power are not the same I have no problem in this V6 cruising the interstate above the legal limit w/ ease and not putting any stress at all on the vehicle. Storage is not what it was, but is deceptively enough to put a $200 grocery purchase in the car w/ ease. The family fits great, the quality is MB and the safety aspect is more than worth the sticker. The only warning I can give is pay attention to which option package you choose. And everything is optional...MB should pay attention and put phone, NAV, back-up camera and memory seats as standard features on a car of this stature.

Ride quality, and gas mileage. I'm getting 21.5 mpg total, and that includes highway driving that exceeded the limit as well as stop and go city traffic. I saved $25/tank over the durango and am getting over 400 miles/tank even w/ my lead foot and a full and loaded vehicle. Awesome! Sunroof!

Nav, phone, and memory seats should be standard. A car of this size must have a back-up camera, to produce this vehicle w/out one is almost criminal. Nicer 18" rims from the 500 or the 19" optional Y-spoke rims would do away with the mini-van references immediately. Get act together and market the car!

No Buyer's Remorse
By Richard Poe

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I drove a Suburban (or some version of it) for 15 years, and was ready for a smaller, more driver friendly car. This is it. The V8 is great, mileage a surprising 19/22, and I love the handling and responsiveness compared to the suburban. It's so aerodynamic, I can't feel a gust when I meet an 18 wheeler. While storage is not what I was used to (how could it be?) it is still very good. This car had 7000 miles (put in service 1/07). It was CPO and I bought 1 extra year ($1595), gave me 5 1/2 yr, 100,000 warranty. Paid less for it than my last Denali XL, and feel I got a lot more car. It is sure more fun to drive.

Engine response and handling are great. Kids love the panorama sunroof. I like the looks of it, minivan or not. I must be the exact market target, because it is exactly what we needed, a 4wd people (and stuff) hauler that drives like a sedan and looks pretty classy. Mileage was a surprising plus.

Visibility can be poor, the large headrests and door pillars can create blind spots and I'd like to see the front end as I drive, it just disappears. I wish I could open the trunk from further away with the remote. The Nav system, while good, isn't as user friendly as some (needs a touch screen).