2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
The un-minivan
By Matthew on 12/08/06 06:50 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Coming up on 13k on our R350. My wife and I love it, as do our two kids. We aspire to own only one car at a time, and this is the perfect choice -- great for hauling around the kids and their friends, but dignified enough for adult occasions. Plus it is remarkably fun to drive for such a massive vehicle. We've had it for more than a year now, and I still enjoy getting behind the wheel and going on long drives. Handling and acceleration are very good (considering the length and weight of the vehicle), brakes are excellent, and the ride is smooth. It's a mystery to me why MB hasn't made more of an effort to market this car. Yes, it's expensive, but for families like ours, it's perfect.

My Problems with MB of N.A.
By DNK on 12/06/06 17:49 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Better than expected ride and handling. Great for road trips. MPG are better than advertised. But lacks nice wheels/rims. I did an upgrade, makes all the difference in making the vehicle look much sportier.

Best car I ever had
By caygirl on 11/22/06 17:52 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have had the BMW X5, and 325Ci and the Porsche Cayenne, and this is the best car I have had by far. It is practical, comfortable, and well appointed. My husband has the Mercedes S class and is happy to get in and drive it with our two kids in the back and nanny or other passenger in the third row. Everyone is happy and comfy. I strongly recommend this car if you need seating for more than 4. Fast too. Caveat: Parktronic is a must!

Don't want to drive a van or SUV?
By Chuck J. on 11/01/06 12:02 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

If you want all-wheel drive, room for 6, and can't picture yourself driving a van or SUV, there's no other choice. The Pacifica fits the bill, but it's slow, underpowered and ugly. And, the rear seats on the Pacifica are not as easy to get into. Some reviewers are slamming the R500, because it's a Mercedes that doesn't register with their sense of what a practical car is. Who off-roads or uses all that van cargo space? The positives: V-8 power!, unique sculpted styling, 1st class ride and appointments, not driving the same SUV or van that everybody else is driving. Did I mention blowing the doors off of most vehicles? When the suspension lowers at 70MPH, you'll know sport touring!

It's a Mercedes!
By David on 10/30/06 17:09 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's a Mercedes. What's not to like? Love the side/rear views. I don't love the front, but the S-class interior, amazing sunroof, power everything, and extremely pliable ride quality more than outweigh the taffy-pull minivan front end. The V8 is strong and the 7- speed transmission is so smooth you can't feel the upshifts. Occasionally you feel a downshift if making a "rolling stop" but I learned that sometimes this phenomenon is due to hill start assist applying the break when you're rolling a stop sign if on a hill. Interesting...user error, not clunky transmission.

Teutonic Genius
By Bill on 10/21/06 03:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my 5th MB and it has been a pleasant surprise. It is a superbly designed, extremely safe, highly functional multi-purpose vehicle. At 28 - 30 mpg on the freeways at 70+ mph, who could complain. Any comparison with the Pacifica is dillusional at best. Recommendation to mfr: make memory seating standard, especially at this price!

What a nightmare
By Rick Kueber on 10/16/06 05:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

In less than 6 months of ownership, my R500 is being towed back to the dealership for the same problems - SRS warning light. According to Mercedes this may cause the airbags to deploy randomly (nice) or not work at all. Also, the low coolant level light is on. For $70k, one would think you would get a much better car. This will definitely be my last Mercedes. Audi Q7, here I come.

Great car with such a size
By great dane on 10/06/06 22:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Good mileage for such a heavy vehicle. Absolutely quiet and smooth in switching gears. Enough space for even a six-footer in the third row. Takes a while to get used to the brake assistant.

My over priced mini van
By Peter E Gibson on 10/04/06 07:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

In twice for transmission, a total of ten days! Need four new tires at 15K. Has been back to dealer six times in nine months. not as reliable as former cars owned in that price range.

The wife loves it!
By IH82BL8 on 09/26/06 20:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is our 3rd MB. The wife didn't want a minivan, and our ML was out growing our family. We got a great deal, $12000 off sticker! The R350 was the perfect choice for our family. It's large enough to fit 6 very comfortably and it's very luxurious. It's a large vehicle but it drives like a sedan. I've got a sports sedan and I even enjoy driving the R350. The NAVI is not as user friendly as the Japanese built cars but we are slowly getting used to it. We love the HK stereo and the panoramic roof. The wife appreciates the auto tailgate. The rear doors are a little too big at tight parking spaces. No regrets at all!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.