2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman on
2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)
I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.
Favorite Features
I love the look of the car, WHEN it's driving without issues it's wonderful, but that hasn't happened very often. It's luxurious but just seems to be so poorly made and or designed. We have the entertainment system which allows my kids to each watch different movies, but that systems was plagued with problems due to the water leak that cause electical issues.
Suggested Improvements
Unless I'm mistaken they no longer make this car, my best guess is the model didn't appeal to a large enough audience, but I'm also thinking that the poor quality and design flaws may have killed this car before it had a chance. I can safely say that the continuous problems combined with the horrendous response I got from Mercedes that I'm beyond disappointed and cannot recommend Mercedes to anyone unless you plan to lease a new vehicle that you can return after the first 24 to 36 months. Personally, I won't be looking at another Mercedes ever.