2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
R 500 early review
By mmcfadden on 01/16/06 00:02 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had this car for 1 month and have driven 2,000 miles. I love everything about this car. It handles like an E- Class. There is the typical MB/BMV sedan driving feel. I opted for the airdynamic suspesion that is wonderful. On/off exit ramps feel terrific with the sports mode, highway- comfort mode and around town-normal mode. A better rear seating arrangement than an S/ML-class. The command center is reasonable intuitive but you have to spend a little time getting to know it. I integrated the phone system, NAV and ipod system. EZ to use. My only complaint is lack of adequate luggage space for long distances when using all seats. Will need cargo rails with large cargo carrier. Buy!

The Early Review
By mbrfan on 01/08/06 23:56 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have watched MB develop the R from the GST concept several years ago and owning one has been rewarding. Solid drive, comfortable but sport feel, large interior room but nimble. The 268 HP and associated torque are fine, making the R500 extra 30+ HP and additonal torque unnecessary - in my mind. The dash "menu" displays are very weak and must be improved. They work but are weak. The Nav system is dated both in use and POI's; The MB Tex in rows 2 & 3 isn't close to best in class. The American market will take a few years to adopt the R - or not. I like wagons so this is great but not everyone will endear themselves to the R. MB will figure out the content vs price in MY '06/07.

Done Right The First Time
By Brent10020 on 01/02/06 11:16 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Wanting more room than a sedan and not willing to drive a minivan, this vehicle seems a perfect fit. Truly fun to drive, much more car-like and better performance than any of the sport SUV's currently available

The Performance is Surprising
By ramon on 12/20/05 17:20 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I had mixed feeling when I first saw this "thing". At some angles, it looked good and the front looked so-so. We were in the showroom looking for a CLS but it was the introductory party so they had several model available for testing. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to drive around the backroads of MD. It was confidence- inspiring. More so than my CLK430. It turns out that it has AWD which gave it the more neutral handling. The clincher was the legroom in the 3rd row. I've sat in the last row of SUVs and they're only fit for children. I did not feel any claustrophobia whatsoever. The bonus is I can go to Home Depot and haul some stuff with the back seats folded.

Ultimate Family Car
By FamilyGuy on 12/20/05 01:09 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have 2 young children and to accomodate my family I have driven another German Luxury SUV, Japanese SUV, and a Luxury midsize Sedan. Unfortunately, none of them never worked. The German SUV drive was too truck-like and the passanger interior was smaller than what I hoped for (no 3rd row seats). The Japanese SUV, was class leading in space, but the ride was not as smooth or quiet as what I got from my German SUV. Moreover, the 3rd row, was very difficult to get in and out of (BTW-this problem is common amongst almost all SUVs with 3rd rows). The German luxury sedan's ride was great, but the size didn't fit. I have found that the R-class gives me the room I need and a great ride.

Great way for 6 to travel in style!
By Naushad on 12/13/05 16:02 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

If you're looking for a luxurious way to get around with family and friends, the Mercedes-Benz R500 is a great solution. I've really enjoyed the quality feel and luxury appointments. I also own an S500 and much to my own surprise, I've come to prefer driving the R500. We have lots of guests and family so the R500 is great for us. The car drives very well and gives you the feeling of a powerful SUV. The luxurious interior gives you the feeling of the S500. This car is the best of all worlds.

Fabulous vehicle
By Elyse Ettinger on 11/22/05 11:23 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car is a terrific alternative to the E class wagon I had previously. The interior space could not be better designed or equipped. The ride is similiar to the S class, but the vehicle design is much better for families. My only suggested improvement is the mileage needs to be improved, but otherwise, absolutely no complaints. I have gotten numerous compliments on the exterior design in the few weeks I have had it. Kids are loving the dual screen DVD players, no arguing who gets to pick the movie! The sun roof just goes on and on-very nice!

The Large MB
By TEDS M.B. on 11/13/05 16:07 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I found the auto to be overall very nice, but I think more detail to operating directions would have been better, such as a video tape or a small book like past models had. The explanation of operation needs upgrade.

WOW! What a ride!
By Andy&Thao on 11/10/05 23:39 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

What an awesome machine...went to the dealer and picked one out of the showroom fully loaded. Love everything about it, just wish the fuel economy is a little bit better. Approaching 2000 miles and loving everytime making a trip.

Perfect for Moms!
By Sheri S. on 10/31/05 22:16 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I love this vehicle! I am a Mom with two children under the ages of three and wanted a luxury, sporty vehicle that was very safe and drives likes "a dream"! I found it in this R class. It is so kid friendly yet I don't feel like it even compares to a wagon/mini- van. After owning a BMW 5 series, Mercedes CLK and a Lexus RX...I am ecstatic to own this vehicle! Also, a big thank you to the team at Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood, IL for their terrific customer service!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.