Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Most Helpful|
MUST READ R500 REVIEW
By rwagen

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am writing this to inform any potential R500 buyers out there of what to expect from this car. First the good stuff - this is the best car you will find with three row seating. It is really fast and luxurious. The V8 which they don't even offer anymore is bullet proof. It is the same engine that they have perfected over 10 years. The R350's are underpowered and there is a problem with the engine. There is a pending class action on the R350's. The gas mileage is not the best... FWY is 21 around town you will average 14-16 The 3 things that WILL need to be addressed are the transmission valvebody $2k, the airmatic shocks $1K and the rear taillights wiring $250 they WILL fail .

Favorite Features

3rd row seating Panoramic Roof Saks Fifth Ave Suede Seats Lots of horsepower Factory Roof racks with Luggage Box Heated seats on 1st and 2nd rows Blue tooth phone stuff Navigation 7 speed transmission give good fwy mileage

Suggested Improvements

Transmission Valve Body faulty design on all 2006 and 2007 R500's Causes car to jerk hard between 1-2 shift points on 7 speed trans. New valvebody fixes problem Airmatic shocks leak at about 40k need to be replaced in pairs Faulty design for tail light harness, lights will not function- factory fix will Crappy city driving gas mileage 13-16

2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car, WHEN it's driving without issues it's wonderful, but that hasn't happened very often. It's luxurious but just seems to be so poorly made and or designed. We have the entertainment system which allows my kids to each watch different movies, but that systems was plagued with problems due to the water leak that cause electical issues.

Suggested Improvements

Unless I'm mistaken they no longer make this car, my best guess is the model didn't appeal to a large enough audience, but I'm also thinking that the poor quality and design flaws may have killed this car before it had a chance. I can safely say that the continuous problems combined with the horrendous response I got from Mercedes that I'm beyond disappointed and cannot recommend Mercedes to anyone unless you plan to lease a new vehicle that you can return after the first 24 to 36 months. Personally, I won't be looking at another Mercedes ever.

Airmatic Suspension Failure
By Deana J

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle new and within weeks of purchase it began displaying a warning light relating to the suspension system. I have had suspension problems over and over again with this vehicle. I had it at the Mercedes service center four times in less than 2 months this summer--each time was due to a suspension problem. I called Mercedes USA to no avail. They would promise a remedy but fail to follow through. I will not purchase another Mercedes because, in my experience, the company does not stand behind defective products.

I Love it but the gas!
By Busy Mom

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle to accommodate my family of 5 and that it has done! Elegant look, smooth ride, and the space/seating capacity keeps the kids from fighting. The only issue I have had with this crossover is the gas mileage. It seems I am always at the gas station! We have to stop between our frequent team practices, and I often have to stop for gas several times during the week for work and extra curricular activities. This is a real drag. And we now have to plan a gas stop into our travel time when planning out our routines. This is no fun and it takes the pleasure out of driving this family dream machine.

Favorite Features

space, look, ride

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage and/or fuel type to accommodate the busy family.

Happy but dissapointed
By douglas

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's a great car, I love the look of it from the front and when I got inside and test drove I fell in love and I got a great deal. First brand new car I purchased and am glad I did. So I have owned mine now for 4 years and its still drives like a brand new car .

Favorite Features

i love the parking sensors and the key less entry system .

Suggested Improvements

Well I found out that the suspension was not built well. The car drops low and I can seem to get Mercedes to fix this. So be sure to get that in writing when you purchase so you can take it in for repairs and pay nothing for it. Don't get trapped with it. Good luck all an all its a great car