Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Love this car
By Rebecca

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought mine at auction so there were a few mechanical repairs needed to be made right off the bat. With those taken car of (issues with shifting and an oil leak) a few other items have come up to repair. My automatic back door broke and is no longer automatic and does not lock and one of my headlights broke electrically. Other than that, the comfort is great and it really feels like a luxury car. Anyone that rides in it loves it, there is so much leg room in the front and middle rows. It's a longer SUV than I would prefer, but I've been very happy with it.

Worst car in 35 years
By guyfromtoronto

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been an ongoing nightmare since I have purchased it. The transmission has failed three times along with many electronics, engine components, water pump, oil pump, suspension three times, shocks twice, buttons, switches, wheel bearings etc.. This is nowhere near the build quality of any prior merceds I have owned. The tow truck has been such a regular to my street that the neighbors already know him. My kids scream when I attempt to dive it to take one of our other cars as they re scared to be in it and will break down again. This is the last Mercedes I will ever own. The mechanic at mercdes even told me that the cars are just terrible in the last few years. Stay far away!

The day I decided to get rid of this piece of crap

Build a better car. Just horrific reliability.

2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.

I love the look of the car, WHEN it's driving without issues it's wonderful, but that hasn't happened very often. It's luxurious but just seems to be so poorly made and or designed. We have the entertainment system which allows my kids to each watch different movies, but that systems was plagued with problems due to the water leak that cause electical issues.

Unless I'm mistaken they no longer make this car, my best guess is the model didn't appeal to a large enough audience, but I'm also thinking that the poor quality and design flaws may have killed this car before it had a chance. I can safely say that the continuous problems combined with the horrendous response I got from Mercedes that I'm beyond disappointed and cannot recommend Mercedes to anyone unless you plan to lease a new vehicle that you can return after the first 24 to 36 months. Personally, I won't be looking at another Mercedes ever.

MUST READ R500 REVIEW
By rwagen

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am writing this to inform any potential R500 buyers out there of what to expect from this car.
First the good stuff - this is the best car you will find with three row seating.
It is really fast and luxurious.
The V8 which they don't even offer anymore is bullet proof.
It is the same engine that they have perfected over 10 years.
The R350's are underpowered and there is a problem with the engine.
There is a pending class action on the R350's.
The gas mileage is not the best... FWY is 21 around town you will average 14-16
The 3 things that WILL need to be addressed are the transmission valvebody $2k, the airmatic shocks $1K and the rear taillights wiring $250 they WILL fail .

3rd row seating Panoramic Roof Saks Fifth Ave Suede Seats Lots of horsepower Factory Roof racks with Luggage Box Heated seats on 1st and 2nd rows Blue tooth phone stuff Navigation 7 speed transmission give good fwy mileage

Transmission Valve Body faulty design on all 2006 and 2007 R500's Causes car to jerk hard between 1-2 shift points on 7 speed trans. New valvebody fixes problem Airmatic shocks leak at about 40k need to be replaced in pairs Faulty design for tail light harness, lights will not function- factory fix will Crappy city driving gas mileage 13-16

Airmatic Suspension Failure
By Deana J

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle new and within weeks of purchase it began displaying a warning light relating to the suspension system. I have had suspension problems over and over again with this vehicle. I had it at the Mercedes service center four times in less than 2 months this summer--each time was due to a suspension problem. I called Mercedes USA to no avail. They would promise a remedy but fail to follow through. I will not purchase another Mercedes because, in my experience, the company does not stand behind defective products.