2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman on 11/14/12 19:46 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.

MUST READ R500 REVIEW
By rwagen on 10/25/11 20:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am writing this to inform any potential R500 buyers out there of what to expect from this car. First the good stuff - this is the best car you will find with three row seating. It is really fast and luxurious. The V8 which they don't even offer anymore is bullet proof. It is the same engine that they have perfected over 10 years. The R350's are underpowered and there is a problem with the engine. There is a pending class action on the R350's. The gas mileage is not the best... FWY is 21 around town you will average 14-16 The 3 things that WILL need to be addressed are the transmission valvebody $2k, the airmatic shocks $1K and the rear taillights wiring $250 they WILL fail .

Airmatic Suspension Failure
By Deana J on 08/22/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle new and within weeks of purchase it began displaying a warning light relating to the suspension system. I have had suspension problems over and over again with this vehicle. I had it at the Mercedes service center four times in less than 2 months this summer--each time was due to a suspension problem. I called Mercedes USA to no avail. They would promise a remedy but fail to follow through. I will not purchase another Mercedes because, in my experience, the company does not stand behind defective products.

Happy but dissapointed
By douglas on 06/27/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's a great car, I love the look of it from the front and when I got inside and test drove I fell in love and I got a great deal. First brand new car I purchased and am glad I did. So I have owned mine now for 4 years and its still drives like a brand new car .

I Love it but the gas!
By Busy Mom on 06/12/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle to accommodate my family of 5 and that it has done! Elegant look, smooth ride, and the space/seating capacity keeps the kids from fighting. The only issue I have had with this crossover is the gas mileage. It seems I am always at the gas station! We have to stop between our frequent team practices, and I often have to stop for gas several times during the week for work and extra curricular activities. This is a real drag. And we now have to plan a gas stop into our travel time when planning out our routines. This is no fun and it takes the pleasure out of driving this family dream machine.

A Tour DeForce
By Kirk Bryan on 05/18/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this with 70,000 miles and it drives like new. The comfort is incredible. The multicontour seats fit like a glove. The armrests and steering wheel are in the perfect position. The head rest doesn't push my head down to my chest like all the new cars do. The sound system is the best I have ever heard. I keep finding more features to use. The mileage better than most smaller v6 SUVs. None of the problems some people talk about. Too bad the economy forces me to sell it.

MB lives up to its reputation
By Jeremy on 10/11/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This vehicle is the first luxury car I've ever owned. I bought it under MB's CPO program in June of 09 with about 15k miles. This car is a dream come true! At first I was weary about the V8's fuel economy but I easily get 16-18 around town and 25 on the highways. Very Impressive for a car and engine of this size. It handles and brakes like a sports car! I haven't had it for long but no issues whatsoever thus far. The back seats have plenty of legroom and the panoramic roof is HUGE and never fails to impress my passengers. Overall I couldn't be more satisfied.

Absolutely Love It
By Dee Peake on 08/23/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After doing a great deal of research, and test driving equivalent vehicles we decided to purchase our R500. My family has quickly fallen in love with this vehicle. The leg room in the second row is unmatched by any other vehicle. I traded in a sportier Jag for the roomier family friendly vehicle. I have not regretted it for a minute, the R500 is luxurious without being pretentious. Highly recommend it. We purchased the extended warranty to just to be safe but we have not had the smallest of issues.

Luxury on the road
By Purchased used on 06/18/08 09:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased a lease return vehicle, replacing a Volvo XC90. The MB is pure luxury in nature. Although the controls are more complicated, the features are second to none. Everyone remarks about the car when we're out and about. At first I thought it was overpriced, but the feel while in the car shows that it is indeed well designed and confortable. We have two 15 year old boys that are 6 feet tall, and the room in the 2nd row sold us on the vehicle. They have lots of room and don't realize they are in a car, even on long trips. Heated 2nd row seats were also a selling point as we live in a cold climate, but have only had front heated seats available before. We are very happy with it.

Good Buy
By Joy M. on 04/28/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my MB and I am just loving every bit of it. This machine is comfortable and have ample of room inside to fit 6 Adults to sit comfortably. The gas mileage is very good considering the fact that it is V8. The most comfortable part of this vehicle is that it was very minimal engine noise and the drive (specially in the freeway)is very smooth and comfortable.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.