Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz R-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Unreliable S
By mrsgrace

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Purchased this car 2.5 years ago. The car was a 2006 with 45K miles. After only 2.5 years of driving this used car the Transmission tanked, just shut down. I was told by the mechanic at the dealer that a part inside was broken and it would cost $6,000 to fix - I thought i was getting a bargain purchasing this car for $19000 with only 40k miles, what a mistake. Prior to the transmission going the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Gas guzzler too, costs me $100 a week to fill it up!

Favorite Features

I reviewed just about all SUVs with 3rd Row option and this had the roomiest, reason why i purchased.

Suggested Improvements

Total remake of the suspension and transmission as several people all experience the same problems, has to be a manufacture glitch. Also adjust MPG so we don't have to spend a fortune on gas.

Big Mistake! Least Reliable Car I've ever owned!
By nolemonsplease

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Just bought this car in March '13. The car is a 2006 with 68K miles. During the test drive everything was running smooth and we fell in love with the car, (more the interior than the exterior) The car almost looks like a Minivan but it grows on you. After 3 months of driving this used car the Transmission pooped out on us. It cost $1,500 to fix and we did not take it to the dealer (this was the cheaper mechanic option) Now the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Can't wait to find out how much new air shocks will cost but I'm assuming it will not be cheap. Gas guzzler too!

Favorite Features

All the bells and whistle inside are absolute luxury. Very comfortable, third row is a plus, specially for families with 2 or more children. You have the benefits of a minivan with the look of a crossover. The double sunroof looks nice. Harman Kardon sound system is very nice. Automatic rear hatch is handy when your hands are fool.

Suggested Improvements

MPGs are at best 18mpg Premium Only! Apparently many people are having the same problems with the suspension and transmission problems amongst other things. There are way too many problems going wrong mechanically and they are not cheap. I'm looking to trade it in already at a major loss to me because I don't trust the car or its reputation. We thought we got a bargain at $16,000 but looks like the joke is on me. It is not worth it even if they give you the car for free! I would not recommend this or any other Mercedes for that matter. I've owned, BMW, Dodge, VW, Nissan, Infiniti, Chevy, etc! and none have ever given me the problems this car is giving me in three months! Stay Away!

Mercedes does not stand behind product
By tmerc

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

2006 Mercedes with 63,711 miles and has had all recommended service performed at the suggested mileage, including regular oil changes every 4,000 miles (synthetic oil). Car stalled without warning. Towed to Park Place Mercedes where it was diagnosed that pistons in cylinders 1 and 4 had come apart, requiring a complete engine block replacement. The cost of repair was quoted at $15,000.00. The value of the car, prior to the catastrophic event, as listed on Kelley Blue Book is $17,000.00 private sale. My expectation is that an engine on a well-maintained, vehicle should last beyond 63,711 miles, unless there are issues with quality of parts used, or the quality of the engine construction.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes should buld a quality car they are willing to stand behind.

2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car, WHEN it's driving without issues it's wonderful, but that hasn't happened very often. It's luxurious but just seems to be so poorly made and or designed. We have the entertainment system which allows my kids to each watch different movies, but that systems was plagued with problems due to the water leak that cause electical issues.

Suggested Improvements

Unless I'm mistaken they no longer make this car, my best guess is the model didn't appeal to a large enough audience, but I'm also thinking that the poor quality and design flaws may have killed this car before it had a chance. I can safely say that the continuous problems combined with the horrendous response I got from Mercedes that I'm beyond disappointed and cannot recommend Mercedes to anyone unless you plan to lease a new vehicle that you can return after the first 24 to 36 months. Personally, I won't be looking at another Mercedes ever.

Multiple, Major Problems
By ewagg1111

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I bought my 2006 R Class brand new in January of 2006. I have enjoyed driving the car and agree it has been the best car that fits my lifestyle, children, and hauling. However, this car has been very expensive to maintain. I have invested nearly $15K in repairs for things that were not covered under warranty. I have had to replace both the front right and left struts for $4K. The SOS system which I never used for $1,700. The seals on the transfer case for $1,100. The Cam Shaft for $5K. The airshock suspension systems for $2,100. The list goes on and on. MB USA has never stepped up to assist in any of these repairs. I doubt that I will ever buy another MB again. Don't love the car that much.

Favorite Features

Interrior, 3rd Row, Captains Chairs, Sunroof, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance and Repairs are way above average. More Major system issues after warranty expires than any of the 15 vehicles I have own previously.