Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

There is no other vehicle like R-class Mercedes
By paxnrth

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

All cars seat the driver well, and most seat the front passenger well, but I know of no other vehicle that seats 4 or 5 more passengers behind the front seat in equal comfort. The middle two seats are large and spacious, think Business Class on an airplane. And even the two rear seats are very adequate for adults less than 6'2". With the glass Panorama roof you don't feel boxed in riding in an R-class.

Then driving on Interstate 82 at dusk 65 mph, a 5 point buck jumped into the freeway, and I hit it square on. It pushed my hood in 2 feet, but the vehicle didn't shudder or swerve, I was able to drive off the freeway at the next exit. I and my front seat and back seat passengers were of course shocked but not a scratch on us (The buck was toast). So MB repairs are expensive but less than human repairs. Love this car.

They never sold the numbers they should have, so this is now a collector's car. But if they still made them I'd buy a new one or a low mileage used one. You can get one of these for a fantastic price now. If you want the biggest, most comfortable SUV for big people, and care about those in the back seats, buy one used. Otherwise consider the 2016 Volvo XC90, as safe, but sadly not quite as roomy.

Worst car in 35 years
By guyfromtoronto

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been an ongoing nightmare since I have purchased it. The transmission has failed three times along with many electronics, engine components, water pump, oil pump, suspension three times, shocks twice, buttons, switches, wheel bearings etc.. This is nowhere near the build quality of any prior merceds I have owned. The tow truck has been such a regular to my street that the neighbors already know him. My kids scream when I attempt to dive it to take one of our other cars as they re scared to be in it and will break down again. This is the last Mercedes I will ever own. The mechanic at mercdes even told me that the cars are just terrible in the last few years. Stay far away!

The day I decided to get rid of this piece of crap

Build a better car. Just horrific reliability.

Unreliable S
By mrsgrace

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Purchased this car 2.5 years ago. The car was a 2006 with 45K miles. After only 2.5 years of driving this used car the Transmission tanked, just shut down. I was told by the mechanic at the dealer that a part inside was broken and it would cost $6,000 to fix - I thought i was getting a bargain purchasing this car for $19000 with only 40k miles, what a mistake. Prior to the transmission going the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Gas guzzler too, costs me $100 a week to fill it up!

I reviewed just about all SUVs with 3rd Row option and this had the roomiest, reason why i purchased.

Total remake of the suspension and transmission as several people all experience the same problems, has to be a manufacture glitch. Also adjust MPG so we don't have to spend a fortune on gas.

Big Mistake! Least Reliable Car I've ever owned!
By nolemonsplease

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Just bought this car in March '13. The car is a 2006 with 68K miles. During the test drive everything was running smooth and we fell in love with the car, (more the interior than the exterior) The car almost looks like a Minivan but it grows on you. After 3 months of driving this used car the Transmission pooped out on us. It cost $1,500 to fix and we did not take it to the dealer (this was the cheaper mechanic option) Now the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Can't wait to find out how much new air shocks will cost but I'm assuming it will not be cheap. Gas guzzler too!

All the bells and whistle inside are absolute luxury. Very comfortable, third row is a plus, specially for families with 2 or more children. You have the benefits of a minivan with the look of a crossover. The double sunroof looks nice. Harman Kardon sound system is very nice. Automatic rear hatch is handy when your hands are fool.

MPGs are at best 18mpg Premium Only! Apparently many people are having the same problems with the suspension and transmission problems amongst other things. There are way too many problems going wrong mechanically and they are not cheap. I'm looking to trade it in already at a major loss to me because I don't trust the car or its reputation. We thought we got a bargain at $16,000 but looks like the joke is on me. It is not worth it even if they give you the car for free! I would not recommend this or any other Mercedes for that matter. I've owned, BMW, Dodge, VW, Nissan, Infiniti, Chevy, etc! and none have ever given me the problems this car is giving me in three months! Stay Away!

Mercedes does not stand behind product
By tmerc

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

2006 Mercedes with 63,711 miles and has had all recommended service performed at the suggested mileage, including regular oil changes every 4,000 miles (synthetic oil). Car stalled without warning. Towed to Park Place Mercedes where it was diagnosed that pistons in cylinders 1 and 4 had come apart, requiring a complete engine block replacement. The cost of repair was quoted at $15,000.00. The value of the car, prior to the catastrophic event, as listed on Kelley Blue Book is $17,000.00 private sale. My expectation is that an engine on a well-maintained, vehicle should last beyond 63,711 miles, unless there are issues with quality of parts used, or the quality of the engine construction.

None.

Mercedes should buld a quality car they are willing to stand behind.