2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:
Unreliable S
By mrsgrace on 12/27/13 15:30 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Purchased this car 2.5 years ago. The car was a 2006 with 45K miles. After only 2.5 years of driving this used car the Transmission tanked, just shut down. I was told by the mechanic at the dealer that a part inside was broken and it would cost $6,000 to fix - I thought i was getting a bargain purchasing this car for $19000 with only 40k miles, what a mistake. Prior to the transmission going the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Gas guzzler too, costs me $100 a week to fill it up!

Big Mistake! Least Reliable Car I've ever owned!
By nolemonsplease on 08/23/13 12:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Just bought this car in March '13. The car is a 2006 with 68K miles. During the test drive everything was running smooth and we fell in love with the car, (more the interior than the exterior) The car almost looks like a Minivan but it grows on you. After 3 months of driving this used car the Transmission pooped out on us. It cost $1,500 to fix and we did not take it to the dealer (this was the cheaper mechanic option) Now the car randomly drops the left side suspension. Apparently the air shocks deflate overnight or while parked for a long time and it tilts to one side. Can't wait to find out how much new air shocks will cost but I'm assuming it will not be cheap. Gas guzzler too!

Mercedes does not stand behind product
By tmerc on 02/08/13 11:21 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

2006 Mercedes with 63,711 miles and has had all recommended service performed at the suggested mileage, including regular oil changes every 4,000 miles (synthetic oil). Car stalled without warning. Towed to Park Place Mercedes where it was diagnosed that pistons in cylinders 1 and 4 had come apart, requiring a complete engine block replacement. The cost of repair was quoted at $15,000.00. The value of the car, prior to the catastrophic event, as listed on Kelley Blue Book is $17,000.00 private sale. My expectation is that an engine on a well-maintained, vehicle should last beyond 63,711 miles, unless there are issues with quality of parts used, or the quality of the engine construction.

2006 R500, Unfortunate Disaster, 74K miles
By moffaman on 11/14/12 19:46 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car certified and have had problem after problem beginning with a water issue that caused electrical problems. Which, despite the knowledge of this problem Mercedes didn't want to admit it existed. They never fully addressed the problem until my warranty coverage was up, then they insisted we put the $7K claim through MY insurance. A few months later I had to spend $3,200 more to fix a rear suspension problem....now 60 days later I'm looking at $2,500 for a differential. I haven't even touched on the problems with the steering column, or the window switches that don't work because the entire panel simply fell out of the drivers side door one day.

Multiple, Major Problems
By ewagg1111 on 05/07/12 16:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I bought my 2006 R Class brand new in January of 2006. I have enjoyed driving the car and agree it has been the best car that fits my lifestyle, children, and hauling. However, this car has been very expensive to maintain. I have invested nearly $15K in repairs for things that were not covered under warranty. I have had to replace both the front right and left struts for $4K. The SOS system which I never used for $1,700. The seals on the transfer case for $1,100. The Cam Shaft for $5K. The airshock suspension systems for $2,100. The list goes on and on. MB USA has never stepped up to assist in any of these repairs. I doubt that I will ever buy another MB again. Don't love the car that much.

Total loss at 48k miles
By lemon9697 on 04/22/12 06:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I thought this car was a wonderful solution for a luxury drive with three rows of seats. That is until it had complete transmission failure at 48k miles, notwithstanding regular and expensive service at my local dealership, Autohaus on Edens. According to my independent, it has a failure in almost every major system. Neither the dealership nor Mercedes will stand behind the car and it will cost more than its blue book value to fix. Had planned on buying MBs forever. Never again!

MUST READ R500 REVIEW
By rwagen on 10/25/11 20:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am writing this to inform any potential R500 buyers out there of what to expect from this car. First the good stuff - this is the best car you will find with three row seating. It is really fast and luxurious. The V8 which they don't even offer anymore is bullet proof. It is the same engine that they have perfected over 10 years. The R350's are underpowered and there is a problem with the engine. There is a pending class action on the R350's. The gas mileage is not the best... FWY is 21 around town you will average 14-16 The 3 things that WILL need to be addressed are the transmission valvebody $2k, the airmatic shocks $1K and the rear taillights wiring $250 they WILL fail .

Faulty Cam gears
By frustrated43 on 12/30/10 17:41 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

$6,000.00 repair bill to replace Faulty cam gears. The metal that the cam gears were made of is too soft. You will have problem in or around 65,000 miles and MB will not help you with it other then taking your $6,000. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in my 30 years of car ownership.

R350 engine problems
By Andrew on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Not many potential buyers know that the R350 with the v-6 engine has a faulty balancing camshaft gear that is prone to failure. The gear is failing impacting the timing of the engine. In order to repair it the entire engine needs to be taken out of the car and apart. Cost over $5,500. All V-6 M272,and V-8 M273 engines between 2004 and 2009 have the potential problem that results in the extensive repairs. MB USA is not honoring the repairs and there is a class action complaint in process. Think twice about buying a used Mercedes Benz. You may be for a $5,500 surprise even if the car has 50,000 miles on it.

Airmatic Suspension Failure
By Deana J on 08/22/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R500 4dr Wagon AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this vehicle new and within weeks of purchase it began displaying a warning light relating to the suspension system. I have had suspension problems over and over again with this vehicle. I had it at the Mercedes service center four times in less than 2 months this summer--each time was due to a suspension problem. I called Mercedes USA to no avail. They would promise a remedy but fail to follow through. I will not purchase another Mercedes because, in my experience, the company does not stand behind defective products.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.