Used 2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Making Friends with a Mercedes Benz
By Rob Pigott

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Know that the regular maintenance for this car requires more frequent check-ups than most other comparable SUV's and that it will be more expensive, too. A used Chevrolet Equinox (AWD 3.5L) was an early choice but I could not find a used one in Southern California in the color I like. Along came this MB at a local Toyota dealership (at the time, I was checking a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Highlander - both used), and, after an impressive test drive, I chose luxury and safety. So, to be honest, the purchase was as much serendipitous as it was carefully researched and goal-driven. Such is life. Having driven the same Toyota Land Cruiser for over 20 years, I was initially overwhelmed by the new technology of the MB, but am growing to appreciate, for example, the added safety of multiple sensors. Those and the simultaneous gas mileage read-out have already made me a better, smarter driver. Early days, but I'm pleased with my purchase.

Great Car to own / drive. Scheduled Service Costly
By linwood walker

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

ll and all very satisfied with exception of maintenance cost. When you go to a Mercedes Benz dealer be prepared to sacrifice a Kidney. The charges are out rages. You pay several hundreds of dollars for service like a oil / filter change. Compared to a regular car you get the feeling Mercedes is bending you over because you are driving a Mercedes. Other than the service rip off I feel this is a great vehicle and would buy the newer model when I trade in.

OVER RATED
By TM

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Owned and driven a ML550 for 3 years / 50000 kms. Have asked MB to reduce the chunky down shifts that cause passengers to fall forwards in their seats...ugh. Acceleration is good in sport mode but the turbo lag causes the vehicle to stall or not move forward in quick turn around situations such as a u turn. Almost a dangerous vehicle. Do not trust the vehicles sensory system to brake when in bumper to bumper traffic. Has no glass breaking sensor so any thief can steal all your contents including spare key fob in glove box. Key fob comes from Munich ya so you pay $500 to replace..ya ya. Cost of repairs are very high so DO NOT OWN MERCEDES WITHOUT WARRANTY. MB only offers a factory 60000 kms warranty! Brake job at 30000 kms cost $3200. Sorry but Mercedes is now a seriously over rated auto manufacturer. Going back to luxury GM products with 6 year 100000 warranty and $100 key fobs and $1000 brake jobs.. if your ego allows do the right thing and dont buy a Mercedes. $$$ in CAD.

Extremely pleased I chose ML350 over BMW's X5
By RCA

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

The safety features on this car are fantastic. It aces the NHIS safety tests and scored Top Pick in safety, which is one of the main reasons I even looked at the Mercedes brand (which I had otherwise always associated with an older generation). I'm glad I looked though! I was very close to buying a 2013 X5 (last in that generation/platform; 2014 model is noted on review sites as having lots of electrical issues), but heard from a MB-owning friend that he's come to like his ML above the more expensive BMW he also drives (which, he admits, is a more fun driving experience). So I looked at MBs.... first the GL (too big for us), then the ML350 (certified pre-owned from dealer, 2013 bluetec model) . Felt that the gas version lacked torque, felt a little sluggish. So I was *about* to go back to the BMW dealer when MB dealer suggested I test drive the diesel. Wow. WOW! The car grips and feels like you've strapped a booster rocket to your back as it accelerates. As they say, "you read about horsepower, but you feel torque." And, MPG is much better... Ok, back to safety: aside from pre-safe and some of the other standard safety features one would expect from a luxury SUV, I have the driver assistance package on mine which is excellent. Blindspot, for example, doesn't just light up a triangle on the mirror like the Volvo XC90 does, the car notices if you're planning on moving over and if there is someone still in your blindspot an audible alert beeps at you. It's like having a co-pilot drive with you. It also has lane-keeping assist, drowsiness detect, etc etc. Being new to the MB family I find new things every day that the dealer didn't even tell me about that I've come to love ... for example, I have keyless entry which also lets me close window and pano (and lock doors) by touching a special spot on the handle; no need to start the car back up to close forgotten windows!
My only complaint is the COMAND system. It's ok, but certainly not great. The new X5 screen (or the new GLEs for that matter) is *much* better. Nav works fine but I still find I just use my iphone & google maps to get me to where I need to go (to be honest, I did that in the '16 model X5s I rented as well...). Overall I couldn't be more satisfied with this vehicle. Highly recommended as a safe, comfortable SUV that feels like it can take you up a snowy mountain on a winding dirt road, cruises great on highway, and looks good while doing it.

Great & pricey mid size SUV
By treydrier

2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I've owned (leased) the ML for a few months now. I turned in a GL which is a full size SUV.

What I like:
The ML has a great ride and very easy steering. For those who like a tight steering wheel, buy a BMW.
This ML is very easy to drive.
I also upgraded to the Harmon Kardon stereo and it is worth the money - crisp and clear with a nice mid range. The ride of the ML is very comfortable. Again, if you like a sporty ride, look else where. I appreciate the comfortable ride, comfortable seats and quietness in the cabin.
In addition, the quality of the materials in the cabin are what you would expect from Mercedes Benz.

What's not to like:
The exterior styling and price.

Quiet comfortable ride. Mercedes Benz' are very reliable vehicles. Harmon Kardon stereo. Rear camera is excellent. Improved nav system from prior models. Comfortable seats and overall great cabin design. Bluetooth support (but they all have it even the inexpensive cars).

You definitely pay a premium for the privilege of owning a Mercedes - you really have to weigh whether its worth the extra dough. The exterior styling is.... meh. It looks like a lot of other mid size SUV's - nothing special to look at. Although they improved the nav system its not best-in-class and for the price, it should be - no touch screen and voice command is still not perfected.