2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Loved my ML 350
By lgasaway on 08/20/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I had my 2012 for 1 1/2 years then bought a 2014. The 2012 was so quiet and comfortable. Plenty of power, no problems of any kind. I am 68 and this is the best car that I ever had. Love it.

Worst car I've owned; my Hyundai was more reliable
By fabllc on 07/11/13 14:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My 2012 ML350 is a major disappointment with numerous technological issues. it has been to the dealer for repairs more than any car i have ever owned. I am again driving a loaner for the 8th time in a year and a half. I have recorded videos of the malfunctions, dealer has duplicated the issues on occasion, and it is still not fixed. I contacted MBUSA for assistance and resolution and they did nothing except say 'take it to the dealer'. I cannot believe that mercedes would have such poor response and pathetic customer service. After years of contemplating purchasing a luxury vehicle I am hugely disappointed that my first experience is so negative. I should have the reliability I paid for.

Love my ML 350
By lgasaway on 06/23/13 07:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I had a Lexus 2010 RX 350 which was a great auto. Have no complaints about that car. My Benz though is much more comfortable, very, very quiet and has good performance. The Lexus comes with more features for the same price which I lament on my Benz. I have had my Benz for 1 1/2 years now and I still love it. Best car I have ever owned. Not too happy with the gas mileage but then I knew that going in. The interior controls are just where I want them. Love the easy gear shift on the column. No problems at all and Mercedes Benz of Fresno treats me like a VIP whenever I go to their business. I highly recommend the ML 350.

New breaks at 16K mileage on my 2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD!
By csunikki on 06/17/13 08:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my 4th Mercedes and I was excited to upgrade to the new 2012 ML350 in January 2012 with the new body design when it first came out, but with ONLY 16K in mileage, I have to get NEW Brakes! Really?!?! In my GLK350, SL500 or my C class, or even with my Hyundai Tuscon, I never had to get my done until after 30K because they would last that long. SO I'm shocked. I only drive 4 miles to work and I'm just really pissed off. They said my back breaks was all the way down to the sensors. But at 16K mileage?!?! I didn't have that issue with my Z4 BMW and I'm thinking of going back to a BMW with their 5 yr maintenance plan. Has anyone else had an EARLY brake issue??

Engine noise on warm startup
By ml350owner on 05/27/13 13:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Hi , I read many reviews or complaints regarding the famous engine noise or knocking that lasts 2-3 seconds only on warm start up after the car has sat for 1-2 hours but not completely cooled yet.I believe I have the explanation for it since I had the same thing in my old 1991 E260, simply the problem is that mercedes uses an oil pressurized system for the variable camshaft timing of the valves, there is different setups for cold or warm start guided by the car computer, in cold start system is fully drained but pressure not needed in that system for cold cam timing, in immediate restart system still fully oil pressurized so no noise, in between u hear the noise, no effect on engine life :-)

Very good first impression with a few minor outages
By alex171 on 04/19/13 15:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Bought it from MB London (ON) Nov-12, with good discount: I didn't plan on 550, but it turned out it was hard to find a bargain 350 with the upscale interior - genuine leather, cooling seats, leather dash (plastic seats as basic can be practical - but shame to have it on a luxury SUV !) I test drove 2011 ML 63 AMG prior to that - got somewhat puzzled/disappointed with it, but 2012 upgrade seems to make a good performance difference: it's so smooth & powerful, quiet engine, good steering.. It's just flying on highway speeds, great to do maneuvers.. Just 3K km on odometer - cannot comment on reliability yet

Mercedes is not of the quality it used to be
By scholla on 03/23/13 18:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

For the last 35 years I always had at least one Benz in the garage. Currently have a 2007 550s and a 2012 350ML. Bought both new/first owner. 550 s -19,000 miles - Air Condition not working. 350ML - 6,000 Miles - electronics defect: give wrong error messages and no error messages. Now, the ML is at the shop because the engine may have to be replaced. Local dealer in Palm Beach says MBUSA asked them to perform "more tests to identify the problem". (Car is in the shop already 3 days.) Two issues here: (1) MB now sells cars that do not work properly, even after short use. (2) How MBUSA deals with the problem: They make little/no effort to make things right. This is no longer a good make.

This is a Great SUV-It is NOT an E-Class!
By jcollum68 on 09/28/12 10:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Leased this vehicle for my wife. I drive a BMW 550i which I much prefer. I always laugh reading other reviews on here and people complain it isn't sporty. It is an SUV, of course it is not sporty! The ride is phenominal and at 80 mph you can whisper to someone in the backseat. Great fuel economy, my wife only drives around town and gets 21 mpg! Good acceleration, just no low end torque, but come on, it is way fast enough for 99.9% of the people buying it. Fit and finish is amazing, nice materials. One year later, my wife still can't figure out the Navigation, so is it confusing or is it her (hmm). Steering is too light for my tastes. Overall, a great vehicle-it is what it is!

Love our ML
By etherboy on 08/11/12 13:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Bought the ML after testdriving X5, Lexus 470, LR4, and QX56..were actually on way to buy QX when we decided to just look at the ML. Test drove the 350 and took it home to see how it would accommodate our family roadtrip needs..perfect. When we ordered, only the 350 was available but was able to upgrade to the 550 a day later. It's awesome..a real sleeper. Steering not nearly as precise as the X5 but better than the QX. The safety features by far exceed any of the other SUVs we tested. Exterior not very sexy..would prefer a Cayenne or X5 or even the QX but for a family tourer with performance the ML550 is hard to beat! And we get 19.5 mpg average.

The jury is still out.
By mrigal87 on 08/05/12 17:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I leased the 2012 ML 350 about 2 wks ago. This is my first MB. So far, it's been in the shop twice at 2 different dealerships. After several days of driving, I noticed the vehicle would start to shake when I reached 65mph. Also, the windshield wipers chatter horribly and are very loud. So I took it in. They worked on it for an entire day. The same problems persisted. I took it back in a week later to another dealership. The shaking seems to be much better, however, the wipers are chattering worse than ever as I discovered today during a rainstorm. Yes, the vehicle is beautifully appointed and looks great etc. but it is very irritating to be in and out of the shop with a brand new vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*