Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Good but has hidden issues
By lrogalski

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Purchased a used 2011 ML350 Bluetec with 65,000 miles for about $30,000 with taxes. Same day troubles began. Check engine came on and I opened a bar tab at the dealership. Local shop replaced the Nox sensor ($700) and said that there is a possibility of a bad valve body. Reset was performed with hope it doesn't come back but shortly after a 45 miles drive check engine came on. Only MB dealer can fix a valve body and they did for about $2,400. Took a 1000 miles road trip with no issues until 3 weeks later. Check engine again and new code P20BE1B, reductant heater performance, possible $1,200 fix. Mechanic reset the code and said to drive it and see if code comes back. To be continued...

Diesel fuel economy is superb. I wanted the E-class Bluetec but winter can be bad and SUV performance helps with bad NYC roads. $90 to fill up at $4.15 and lasts 450-550 miles mixed driving, roughly 20-23MPG. Now highway mileage excels! Recent road trip recorded 29.9MPG for 900 miles and best mileage was at 32.5 MPG at 62MPH for about 400 miles driving through rural Virginia/MD. Best highway tank 680 miles. The fit and finish of the SUV is great. I've owned couple Escalades and this thing just feels more plush and luxurious. Run Flat tire are ok. I was very anti RFT on my Audi TT but on this SUV it works. Navigation works nicely and diesel stations are displayed on the map.

This is a used Benz and I fully came in aware that things would cost more when they break and they have. I do believe that I bought this thing broken and it was covered up by clearing the check engine light by the wholesale auction. Hence why it was $7000 below actual price of similar SUVs selling at a MB dealership. I've owned this ML for 9 weeks and spent $3,100 already and possible next $1200 if check engine come on again, if thats the case I will have to reconsider my purchase. I do love the diesel and I did read many positive reviews about Diesel Mercedes but I can't average $400+ a week on repairs. It takes away from all the fuel economy benefits and the actual brand.

The Utility under the SUV designation some missing.
By bobby8bsgf41

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I could have gotten the 2012 model when it came available but didn't because its persona was weak looking and no towing, MHO, while the 2011 ML350 have a masculine stance. I was not losing much because mine have the light package (the LED) and HID, Premium 2 Pkg, leather, Towing Pkg, etc. Being the end of the model run, most if not all kinks may have been fixed, I hope. Like most new cars/truck it's fun to drive.

What I like: Exterior design; built; LED driving light; Towing pkg; Rook Rack; Running board; Keyless to go, etc.; Driving position; roomy; all the electronic gadgets are working for now. The intangible asset - MB brand name and how it drives. What's disappointing: Rather than getting a pickup to tow, this one can tow with style, that's the plus. I agree with the other reviewer about the towing harness. I dislike the way the second row seat are lay flat, it waste approx 8-10" space across. I feel seating uncomfortably on the driver seat left edge hump. Moving toward the center solve it but away from the window. On a thigh turns I feel sliding out.

Have available what it needs for true utility. Was the roof rack for the looks only? Where is the cross bar with tie down. Is the towing package a joke? Why there's no electrical harness available? Improve the back seat lay flat configuration. I have to open the garage door every time I needed something from the back. My previous suv is 9" longer but have the glass window for quick item retrieval. When going approx 20-50 mph, you will feel the road bumps like a truck, could it be a compromise for towing heavy load? Make the driver seat more supportive on turns.

Nice SUV for the price, but not built for towing trailers
By coachelladoug

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I've owned Lincoln Navigators, Land Rover Range Rovers, Supercharged, and LR3s. Leased a 2011 ML 350 4Matic with the OEM towing package, front/rear park assist, side lane change assist, dual & rear AC, 20 inch tires. As far as ride, it rides as any normal SUV, not as soft as a Range Rover, or the softer Navigator, but more like a sporty (hard ride) supercharged RR or LR3. BIG TURN OFF...even though MB installed OEM Trailer Package, MB does not included a trailer light adapter to change the 7-pin (European) to an American 4-pin, or 5-pin. I've gone to many U-hauls/Pep Boys,/Advance/O'Reilly/Auto Zone/and others, no one sells an adapter; Not even MB dealers sell an adapter for their own cars!

Turn lane assist.

Better navigation system. an 8 year old Range Rover has a better system. Slow, have to input city name in single letters every time. You can either have the time to destination or the next exits, but not both on the panel. Lame! Include a towing light adapter, or manufacture a 7 pin to 5 pin (7-5) or 7-4 trailer light adapter for your own OEM installed towing packages. Your biggest market is the US, don't be so obnoxious as to not include such a simple accessory as an adapter for the US market on your own OEM installed towing packages.

Overall it blows away my expectations!
By rosemr1

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

There is not enough to say about how much I love this car. From the stylish design to how solid the car is....its just the finest automobile I have ever owned. Mercedes has won me over to the point that I'll never buy another domestic car again. And their customer service is bar none! Spending 55K on a car, I expect a certain level of Customer Service, and Mercedes has delivered. Go ahead, buy a Cadillac and see how GM treats you. We now have 2 ML 350's in the family and I honestly do not see another brand even being considered at this point! So long GM, it was fun while it lasted!

I love the NAVI system and rear camera. 2 features that really round out this car. Handling is superb, and power off the line is what I expect from a V-6. Not sluggish and doesn't "hop" when you get on it! Visibility is great and ride is smooth and steady. Plenty of leg & head room, and seats are very comfortable. Gauges are easy to read and the integrated heads up display is very simple to navigate.

Oil consumption is bit disappointing. A V-6 that takes 8.5 qts of oil? Really? At $9.00 a quart for Royal Purple ( use Mobil 1 if you want, but you can't beat RP for synthetic oil )it turns into a $100.00 oil change. That I wish they would work on. The other thing that bugs me isn't about the car...is about these Lexus drivers who just bag on the MB name brand. Get a life already! MB is far superior to any rice burner...period! So please, save your spiel about how much better the Lexus RX or G something is this and that...its a Toyota! Bottom Line!

Only One Thing Missing
By wfwalton

2011 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Great car, got a great deal. Whole family loves it. Amazing ride. Got $3,000 off MSRP using USAA buying program and dealer threw in Premium 1 package. Cheaper to lease than a Ford Edge.

Ride. comfort, looks, space and size.

Nav, Stereo Audio controls/system is horrible. I cant believe that this system is even in a MB. Totally outdated and not special at all. Had to have the unit replaced as Nav wasnt working.