Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Does anyone else notice these issues?
By mbfan9

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I own 3 Mercedes Benz's. A 2006 S500 with 120,000 miles, a CLK550 with 50,000 miles and the 2009 ML350 with 53,000 miles. Out of these 3, the first 2 are manufactured in Germany. The ML is made here in the USA. The first 2 get 24-27 mpg on a long trip. The ML350 gets around 20mpg. Heres the issues. The ML is not made as well as the other 2. It has had rear hatch issues, sunroof issues (just had to replace the switch on the sunroof, cost almost $1,000) and multiple other very minor issues that always seem to cost between $500 and $1000. The cover of the drivers rear view mirror popped off. Everything functioned, but the cover would sometimes pop off in the car wash. Cost to repair $630.

Engineering design is suspect. Why would MB put a $10 sunroof switch into an overhead panel so that when the switch fails the repair costs over $1000. They had to replace the entire panel, lights and all. That's just inexcusable engineering. It seems to me that MB is following the 'Gilette' strategy. Reduce costs of production by co-joining multiple functions, then charge an arm and leg for the 'razor blades' at the service level. By the way, P&G which owns Gilette is finding out the hard way that sales are plummeting. I guess the consumer has other options that to pay the exhorbitant prices. I love my other MB's. This ML seems like a very poor comparison

Best Decision I've Ever Made
By alessing

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Usually, when it comes to SUV's, I'm a Ford guy. Their SUV's feel like trucks and I like that... I never imagined myself driving a crossover. Until now. The wow factor is instant when you see this SUV. Inside and out it is just fantastic. Faster than my old V8 with better MPG's and no problem towing our 22 foot boat. I've owned a Hummer H2 in the past and I'll be the first to admit that his Mercedes is an off-road legend in hiding! I love it. It's perfect for the whole family. All 5 of us (plus 2 dogs.)

Power liftgate, voice control COMMAND center, Logitech 7 Harman-Karden HD Surround Sound.

Updates in the Navigation are rare and a touch screen layout would be cool.

Problems
By merc5

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have had this vehicle for 2 years and 5 months. Service has just finished replacing all of the front end bushings without an apparent cause for wear. 29522 miles of almost all highway miles and good roads. No off roading. After one year my gas gauge started malfunctioning. Service had to drop the tank and replace one gauge. I had a 2000ML with various problems including the same gauge issue. Nine years later and still issues that should never have happened. Mercedes service has been very good but none of these things should happen. Integrity is lacking. Too high a price to spend the time in service for things that should not fail so quickly. Transmission could shift a lot smoother.

Style and solid feel when driving.

Better quality control of parts suppliers. Transmission shifts ruff at times from 1st to 2nd particular from a quick slow down to a quick acceleration.

Love this car
By Car_Guy

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Just bought the ML350 4Matic - I love this car. I'm over 6feet tall and this car is the only crossover that's built for tall people. Looks sexy and drives great - what more can you ask for.

Very finicky car
By victor

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Like many German cars, this has its quirks. The navigation is tough to get used to, but that's not what's most curious about this car: at elevation about 10,000 feet, the nav shuts off! It displays a warning and becomes inoperable. Mercedes says it affects so few people that they won't fix it. So if you drive in the mountains a lot (we live in Colorado) and want to use this car in high elevations, keep this in mind. As importantly, keep in mind that Mercedes refuses to spend the time reprogramming the nav systems. Maybe they outsourced that part to Japan...

Big V8 engine has plenty of power, great brakes, comfortable ride, decent sex appeal.

Fixing the quirks in the navigation...it's even more unacceptable considering the price tag on this car.