2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

ML320 BlueTEC 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )
Not for family of 4 with kids
By MIBluetec on 01/21/10 00:40 AM (PST)

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Diesel ML320 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We bought the Bluetec for the fuel economy and the exterior styling. Little did we know that it is not designed for tall or larger people. I weigh 210lbs and 5'11" tall so I am not big. It is very uncomfortable to come in and out of the driver's seat. With the seat back, my kid does not have leg room from his car seat. I move the seat forward and have to drive uncomfortably. The rear entertainment is mounted very poorly in the back that my 4 year old has bumped his head hard 3-4 times. I do not recommend it for family of 4 with kids. With the 2 car seats, it is very difficult to seat 5. THe fuel economy is averaging around 24mpg which is not bad. Diesel is sufficient for daily drive.

Best ML Yet
By Hank on 11/16/09 06:36 AM (PST)

We bought this to replace the 1998 ML320 we had for eleven years. The old one was great and gave outstanding reliability, but it was time to replace. This ML320 BlueTec is a great replacement and it has lived up to it's advertising. Great mileage and comfort with all the gadgets you would want. Very solid feel on the road with plenty of room for storage. We have other diesels in the family and this is one of the best. It is quiet and soot free with good mileage for the weight of the vehicle. On the road you don't even know it's a diesel. Fantastic improvement over the older diesels.

Best car yet!
By Arnold on 08/11/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

This has been a wonderful driving experience .The Diesel is very smooth and quiet and the highway milage is regularly over 28 mpg with average usually around 25 including city. The interior systems are fun and easy. The lift gate is great and at the right height to the ground and the space is more than ample.

The 2009 MB Blue-Tech screams!
By VegasGoesBlue on 07/29/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

I have had this truck for around a month now and I am very impressed. It flat moves and is stable doing so. I purchased it to replace a 2002 C class MB that I loved but missed having room to haul anything. So far it's two thumbs up! Anxious to take a road trip in the next 2 months. Vegas to Denver should be a good test. Maybe a bit of off road testing hopefully. The gas millage isn't anything to write about at this point but it's only got 1000 miles on it. It feels like a Benz... That's the best part!

Clean, efficient, large
By MS on 06/27/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

Purchase this since we needed something relatively large - but were very concerned about getting a gas guzzler SUV. So far, so good - this SUV is a great solution. Getting 24+ on the highway and plenty of room and comfort. No quality issues so far, but it hasn't been long - initial build quality seems outstanding.

The powerful ML320 Bluetec
By The environmentalist on 05/09/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

Since I do a lot of highway driving, at times in bad weather conditions, I feel I need a SUV. This MB beat my previous luxury Japanese SUV hands down, in terms of ride, braking, offroad (something the previous SUV just couldn't handle)and mileage. It sure cost more but the extra cost is worth it. Mileage is very good and one can't tell that it's a diesel engine. Using the cruise control significantly enhances mileage on highways. The transmission and engine deliver power smoothly. Diesel engines beat out hybrids when hauling heavy stuff and the ML320 has class-leading towing capacity. So far, no problems with reliability. Looks like MB has fixed the problems of the previous generation.

Awesome new ride
By Texas Lawyer on 04/21/09 17:13 PM (PDT)

I buy a new car about every two years and just traded in a Jeep Commander Limited with a Hemi in for this new oil burning Benz. All I can say is: WOW. This truck is the bomb, I have only driven it about 1,000 miles so far but am averaging 30mpg on the highway and about 22mpg in town. I got nearly every option, including prem packages 1 and 2 (keyless entry) and leather, etc. The ML320 is like an S class in overshoes, the ride is first rate and the gas mileage is simply amazing for such a large vehicle. The only complaint I have is that from 0-10 mph it is a little herky jerky until the turbo kicks in then it flies. The fit and finish is typical MB and is my #1 choice in a luxury SUV.

If you never thought an SUV was for you:
By GreenDiesel on 03/13/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

If you never thought an SUV was for you, add the 2009 MB 320 BlueTech diesel to your list because it handles very well, has lots of room inside, is safe, lots of TORQUE and is economical mileage-wise. I have observed 22 MPG city stop/go driving.With the most conservative driving style I've observed 30 MPG highway driving in an SUV not in an economy car! Be gentle on the throttle when pulling away from stop lights and use cruise control on the highway. The turning circle radius is good and the steering for tight parking is very easy to maneuver. The front and rear parktronic option is a must. The styling of the redesigned model is a huge improvement. Very masculine. Highly recommended

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Diesel in VA is:

$137 per month*