Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML550 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Very nice
By hemi_torque

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

We have one without the airmatic setupů.Lightens the weight of the ML and eliminates any potential air springs issues in the future. It has blazing acceleration - when launched, even at part throttle, it can feel like you just got rear ended by a truck that forgot to stop. You'd have to see it to believe what cars it can out accelerate on a regular basis. Has a solid yet comfortable ride. Structure is very solid & tough. Engine & exhaust are tuned to be quiet & relaxed, and so don't be expecting high performance sounds. Has been very reliable so far. It's also a very safe SUV with great crash test results. MPG is actually not bad considering this level of power in an SUV package.

Favorite Features

Torque, power, gearing, instant engine response, the 550 version exclusivity, build quality, very attractive interior & exterior design, amg sports package, 7-speed automatic, pre-owned value, great visibility, feels small & maneuverable, reliability, luxury. Instantly noticeable orange turn signals in the rear, great turn signal indicators on the side mirrors. Can find a comfortable preference for the steering wheel & seat adjustments. Seats are comfortable on long drives. I could go on & on...

Suggested Improvements

Personally, I'd prefer: more car-like handling, (maybe the airmatic setup would help in this case), more relaxed steering - it can get a little nervous (twitches from left to right due to road imperfections) and so I was hoping for more relaxed steering characteristics around town. Sportier sounds from the engine & exhaust, a better manual mode, easier to use Command System. Better traction from the 4matic system since the front tires (yes front) tend to spin from stoplights quiet often even at just part throttle openings.

Update after two years of ownership
By joe43

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have now had my ML550 two years since my last review. I actually enjoy my vehicle even more than before!! I have had no problems with it and the power is just so amazing with the gas mileage not so bad (avg 15mpg). I live downtown and do not drive a lot of hwy miles but when on hwy I get 19 to 20 mpg. Small trucks with V6 engines do not get better in town gas mpg. The quality has stood up and I intend to keep this ML550 for a long time! I just love this SUV!!

Favorite Features

V8 Engine!! The power is awesome Comfortable seats Luxury accomodations Comfort or Sport controll suspension IPod adaptor and Satillite Radio

Suggested Improvements

None

My 2nd MLV8!
By RockyM

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I traded in my 2006 ML500 for this 2008ML550 because I wanted a few more options such as a hitch and backup camera. My 06ML was wonderful and I had no problems for the three years I owned it! My new 08ML550 is awesome! The extra 80 hp makes it even more powerful (ML500 was fast to me) and the gas mileage is about the same! How do they do that? The quality is top notch and this vehicle is so much fun to drive! Love it!

Favorite Features

Motor! IPod, backup camera, Parktronics and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

None. This is the perfect SUV!! I would rather have the extra power than the better MPG that a less powerful engine would give!

Zoom Zoom... not just for Mazda
By alexatlanta

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

My ML550 has the power to scare squirrels on trees a quarter mile away. I love the take off speed. The stereo is very rich and nice. I never dreamed that satellite radio would be so addictive. The seats are seductive in their contours. While the nav has quite a few limits, such as the joystick and the lack of new roads, it serves it purpose well and has a much nicer voice than the 2006 edition. While road noise is more pronounced then the E class, it is much quieter in the ML than in many other cars. The car is just fun to drive. I really like at lights when someone pulls the other lane expecting to blow past the bloated SUV only to be mistaken.

Favorite Features

The Sirius satellite, the rich Harmon Kardon stereo, the reverse camera, and the engine! Wow, I love the engine

Suggested Improvements

iPod integration should be through the Command system (this is true in the 2009). Road noise is a bit high for a Mercedes. I would like to see better BlueTooth integration. I would like the Keyless Go to lock automatically rather than having to touch the handles. The clock has a second cog.

Exactly what I expected.
By Bryan

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Car runs very well. I have absolutely no regrets at this time.

Favorite Features

I didn't want the rear seat entertainment package at first, but it works very well. The bluetooth feature works well. But why is there no voice activated controls with this vehicle? I did not understand the voice activation buttons on the steering wheel. It turns out that they are useless.

Suggested Improvements

What is with the bars along side of the center console? Voice activation? How about adding a panoramic moonroof? How about some better gas mileage? But I guess someone who purchases a Mercedes can't be hurting with the high gasoline prices too much. Six bucks a gallon may be a problem.