Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Very nice
By hemi_torque

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

We have one without the airmatic setupů.Lightens the weight of the ML and eliminates any potential air springs issues in the future. It has blazing acceleration - when launched, even at part throttle, it can feel like you just got rear ended by a truck that forgot to stop. You'd have to see it to believe what cars it can out accelerate on a regular basis. Has a solid yet comfortable ride. Structure is very solid & tough. Engine & exhaust are tuned to be quiet & relaxed, and so don't be expecting high performance sounds. Has been very reliable so far. It's also a very safe SUV with great crash test results. MPG is actually not bad considering this level of power in an SUV package.

Favorite Features

Torque, power, gearing, instant engine response, the 550 version exclusivity, build quality, very attractive interior & exterior design, amg sports package, 7-speed automatic, pre-owned value, great visibility, feels small & maneuverable, reliability, luxury. Instantly noticeable orange turn signals in the rear, great turn signal indicators on the side mirrors. Can find a comfortable preference for the steering wheel & seat adjustments. Seats are comfortable on long drives. I could go on & on...

Suggested Improvements

Personally, I'd prefer: more car-like handling, (maybe the airmatic setup would help in this case), more relaxed steering - it can get a little nervous (twitches from left to right due to road imperfections) and so I was hoping for more relaxed steering characteristics around town. Sportier sounds from the engine & exhaust, a better manual mode, easier to use Command System. Better traction from the 4matic system since the front tires (yes front) tend to spin from stoplights quiet often even at just part throttle openings.

Bad dealership bad car
By klm001

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is the bottom line worst car I have ever purchased and the dealership is even worse than the car. I purchased an ML350, 5 days after I purchased the car it had to go in for service and in less than 20 months the car has been in 21 times! Everything from the rear hatch not working (constant problem), sunroof, cam shafts leaking, oil leaking, random lights not working, battery going dead for no reason and stranding me, and the last one was the a/c going out completely. Of course out of 21 times in the dealership my service advisor who is the only decent part of this experience does not know what to do except to schedule me for service for next month in advance because she knows soon so

Favorite Features

The car interior is beautiful, it is on of the reasons I purchased the car, it also feels very solid compared to alot of cars. Its tight suspension makes it feel like a sturdy well built car. It is unfortunate that was not the case.

Suggested Improvements

Dealership should stand behind obvious issues with a car that even the service advisor admits is not due to the user.

Probably not worth the investment
By spicoli2

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I bought this car new in October 2007. I have general dislikes about this vehicle and the cost of ownership. First, the SUV has 37k miles on it and I am on my 3rd set of tires at $1100 per set (including mounting and balancing). MBUSA says it's due to the weight of the vehicle and that the tires available are soft (whatever you do DO NOT buy Continental 4X4 contacts for this car). Second, there are many, many little things that for a MB are un acceptable like, front defroster only has one setting, which is high, then you need to play the on/off game with it when the windows fog up, the radio does not display the song or artist, the alarm makes no audio sound to indicate it is alarmed, ect

Favorite Features

Goof performance Exterior styling Storage space

Suggested Improvements

Change settings for front defroster Have radio display artist and title Have alarm have the ability to have an audio sound to indicate the vehicle is secured Full size spare tire Paint that doesn't scratch if you look at it wrong Changing front light bulbs requires an entire free day

Update after two years of ownership
By joe43

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have now had my ML550 two years since my last review. I actually enjoy my vehicle even more than before!! I have had no problems with it and the power is just so amazing with the gas mileage not so bad (avg 15mpg). I live downtown and do not drive a lot of hwy miles but when on hwy I get 19 to 20 mpg. Small trucks with V6 engines do not get better in town gas mpg. The quality has stood up and I intend to keep this ML550 for a long time! I just love this SUV!!

Favorite Features

V8 Engine!! The power is awesome Comfortable seats Luxury accomodations Comfort or Sport controll suspension IPod adaptor and Satillite Radio

Suggested Improvements

None

Proud Owner of ML 350
By Manny

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Back in 2008, I test drove Volvo, BMW, Audi, Acura. Finally I chose ML350. I believe in my life I have always made wrong decisions, but I have never regretted my ML350 purchase. Then I bought Audi Q7 2010 for my wife, but somehow it has failed to gain my loyalty. Even after 60,000 miles my MB drives like a newborn. Amazing SUV.

Favorite Features

Steering control, I cannot believe such a huge SUV having this kind of control, mind blowing.

Suggested Improvements

Glove compt too small, Nav is ok. Meter display not impressive.