Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

****Warning- do not purchase******
By Khadijah

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I brought this car because I owned a Mercedes before. However, I wished I never purchased this year 2006. After having the car a year the engine light came on and the worse began. - Balance Shaft replaced - 8 sensors replaced in 8 month span - 2 Ignition coils replaced - MAF sensor replaced - ECU Connector replaced - Headlight wiring insulation cracked (and shortcut) - The wheel wells are covered in some kind of fabric(?) which will come loose - Rear bulbs keep burning out - Subwoofer blown - Rear windshield wiper does not complete cycle - Interior vents adjusters falling apart (glued?) - Ratting in left front door - Rear hatch rattling - Lots of rattling when interior is cold - Seat Belt lock stops working . The repairs are still being added. I put the car in the shop yesterday and was told $4000 more in work. Mercedes Rep said to get rid of the car. Because this was the first year they rolled this class out the car is a lemon.

MBUSA bad rep!
By KAY

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I wish I was warned before buying this SUV because I would have never gotten it. It looks pretty on the outside, but that's all it is. Unfortunately, I found out about the balance shaft problem after I had purchased the vehicle and was quoted more than $7000.00 by a local MB dealer to fix the problem! I couldn't afford the cost and decided to wait for the class action law suit to conclude before I decided to do anything. Long story short, I found out that the class action law suit covers those who had their SUV fixed which means I'm on my own. I contacted MBUSA to see if they were willing to help with the cost, but was told to pretty much "Go to hell." I guess they don't care about future customers!!!!!Thankfully the car still drives except for the check engine light being on. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it and get a non-MB vehicle!!!!!!!

LOOKS CAN BE VERY DECEIVING....
By Bonnie Pullara

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Run away folks and never buy an ML350. I assumed since it was German engineered, it would be perfect like the BMW which I've owned several BMWs sonce the 90s. I chose the ML350 over the X5 based on being of a more luxurious look. I didn't expect the quality to be that of a $10,000 new vehicle. It was just that, a piece of junk. From the balance shaft issues to the power steering issues to the transmission issues, it never stops. Repairs in the thousands! Saddest part is Mercedes knew about their defective issues and don't stand behind their known defects leaving the customers in a bad way. Shame on Mercedes! I will never buy a Mercedes-Benz again and will stick with BMW always. My Mercedes-Benz SUV piece of junk everyday vehicle is now garaged and I'm forced to drive my weekend BMW M6 as my everyday vehicle until I figure out what to do to get rid of it without taking a huge financial loss but still maintaining my honesty conveying the good, the bad and the ugly which is how I live my life. Mercedes don't care about reputation nor repeat business from loyal customers; they just care about money....

Great Car
By robliski

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 4dr SUV AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had this car for 5.5 years now. It's been great to us and has never left us stranded. This is a car that needs an owner that timely addresses all preventive maintenance items before they become repair items, because then it gets expensive. The all wheel drive system is great and it is like a tank in rain and snow. Solid! Good power. Very comfy ride. Plenty of room.

Roomy, comfortable, and solid.

Navigation is not user friendly.

Not a bad car
By zekester1

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Bought this car new, and have no problems other than replacing brake lights and the fuel filter ($3000+). I've 118000+ miles and have no serious complaints other than shoddy switchgear (sunroof switch is broken). Roomy, decent gas milage (23mpg+) and fully-featured, this I believe is my perfect car. However, the 8-quart oil requirement makes for expensive oil changes when using synthetic ($100+).

Rear seats fold flat, rain-sensing wipers and a very large window-washing reservoir. The hill decent control works well, and comes in handy when dealing with traffic-laden winter trips to Reno. I'm 6' 5" and people can still sit behind me while I'm completely comfortable. Holds a lot in the back even with the seats up. Stereo is perfect.

It seems to me that there's room for a full-sized spare, so why not do that. Move the AUX audio out of the glovebox to a place that makes sense. Make the hood release a bit easier to find. Ditch the joystick controller for the COMAND system.

• SUV