Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Great SUV IF its working
By flip900rr

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 4dr SUV AWD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased an 2006 ML500 a year ago. It has been in the shop at least 4 times and over $10K of repairs. I am glad we purchased the extended warranty and it is still covered. Thank God! Anways, if this suv was just reliable it would be perfect. My wife and I love driving this vehicle. The problem it is always in the shop. We are thinking about trading it in because it a hassle taking it to the shop every 3-4 months. This is by far the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Power, handling and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make your vehicle more reliable Mercedes.

ML350 - Don't touch one!
By dutchy01

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

If you research this vehicle you will find they have problems with the balance shaft and this equals expensive repairs. MB will not admit a problem exists but the blogs show this to be untrue. They have also introduced a replacement (read upgrade) kit to address their non existent problems. My experience has been that a cog on the balance shaft has disintegrated causing much internal damage. The engine had to be removed and parts replaced. 30 hours labour. Can you afford the risk? I currently have 2 MB's but will not touch another one.

Favorite Features

Performance (when not in the dealership being repaired) is great. It looks good, handles well and feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality leaves much to be desired. Sometimes customers come before reputation.

Balance shaft recall & reliability
By joezep

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

There's a ballnce shaft problem where MB extended the warantee for 10 years on this $5,800 job. One dealer did not know about it. They still hit me $1,800 to replace defective intake manifold that was not covered. This car has a computer from hell giving false signals on light bulbs etc. Not nearly as reliable as my 99 E430. Truck ate about $10k in repairs this year. I expected a lot better quality from MB but this is true for all German cars lately. Why pay this kind of money when cars casting half are more reliable?

ML goes up in smokes
By dyoon001

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My daugther spilled some water in the back seat and within minutes, the wipers went wild (couldn't turn it off), the windows rolled down by themselves and various warnings signs came up on the dashboard (i.e. brake fluids malfunction). Then, smoke started to rise from the passenger side. This all happened while driving. How do you design a vehicle that malfunctions like that with a little bit of water spill? Why is the electrical panel located underneath the passenger side seat? What is the electrical system better protected? I think this should be a design defect and warrants a recall.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system on the floor needs to be water-proof. The newer 2012 ML has a better panel covering with white foam to absorb liquids but this was that the case with 2006 model. This should have been recalled and fixed because they replaced the cover without letting me know.

"a service nightmare"
By dissapointed

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The styling and sturdiness of the ML350 is great. The Harmon Kardon sound is very good. The trouble I have experienced has been the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have it in the shop now for balance shaft replacement ( out of warranty and a few grand to fix) plus I was told that the transmission control module needs to be replaced ( another $1700). I have had the temperature controls reprogrammed ($150) parking lamp wiring harness replaced ( $200+) parking brake release handle repaired ( $200) plus normal maintenance service of $1000.00 plus already just this year. Stay away from 2006 ML's - maybe all MB vehicles! My servicing dealer is not good either which compounds the issue.

Favorite Features

solid body feel and Harmon Kardon sound. Turn radius is also good for a suv.

Suggested Improvements

Get a new dealer in the Nashville area, do a recall and fix your obvious issues rather than stick your customers for known widespread defects such as balance shaft failures and transmission failures.