2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Unreliable overrated verhicle
By candiangold on 11/04/13 10:59 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

- Balance Shaft replaced - 8 sensors replaced in 8 month span - 2 Ignition coils replaced - MAF sensor replaced - ECU Connector replaced - Headlight wiring insulation cracked (and shortcut) - The wheel wells are covered in some kind of fabric(?) which will come loose - Rear bulbs keep burning out - Subwoofer blown - Rear windshield wiper does not complete cycle - Interior vents adjusters falling apart (glued?) - Ratting in left front door - Rear hatch rattling - Lots of rattling when interior is cold - Seat Belt lock stops working - Rear ashtray fell apart - Idling erratic I traded it in for an Acura MDX, what a breeze, no rattles, smooth ride, and all options standard

Maybe Luck of the Draw
By f22dara on 05/14/13 08:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Some people may have bought a "monday or friday" car, meaning the days nobody wants to work, a few mishaps made down the assembly line( yes you can research and find out what day our car was born on FYI) However, I'm surprised at all the bad reviews. This is my second mercedes but first ML truck. I love it truely & thanking God i have not experienced the nightmares of others. I get so many compliments.I will admit the wiring harness had to be fixed by dealer( free of charge) but other than that the car is perfect total class.. Mercedes is worth the money and yes expensive to maintain but hey... you gotta Pay to Play right..

ML350 - Don't touch one!
By dutchy01 on 04/20/12 17:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

If you research this vehicle you will find they have problems with the balance shaft and this equals expensive repairs. MB will not admit a problem exists but the blogs show this to be untrue. They have also introduced a replacement (read upgrade) kit to address their non existent problems. My experience has been that a cog on the balance shaft has disintegrated causing much internal damage. The engine had to be removed and parts replaced. 30 hours labour. Can you afford the risk? I currently have 2 MB's but will not touch another one.

Balance shaft recall & reliability
By joezep on 01/20/12 20:19 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

There's a ballnce shaft problem where MB extended the warantee for 10 years on this $5,800 job. One dealer did not know about it. They still hit me $1,800 to replace defective intake manifold that was not covered. This car has a computer from hell giving false signals on light bulbs etc. Not nearly as reliable as my 99 E430. Truck ate about $10k in repairs this year. I expected a lot better quality from MB but this is true for all German cars lately. Why pay this kind of money when cars casting half are more reliable?

ML goes up in smokes
By dyoon001 on 01/03/12 09:59 AM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My daugther spilled some water in the back seat and within minutes, the wipers went wild (couldn't turn it off), the windows rolled down by themselves and various warnings signs came up on the dashboard (i.e. brake fluids malfunction). Then, smoke started to rise from the passenger side. This all happened while driving. How do you design a vehicle that malfunctions like that with a little bit of water spill? Why is the electrical panel located underneath the passenger side seat? What is the electrical system better protected? I think this should be a design defect and warrants a recall.

"a service nightmare"
By dissapointed on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The styling and sturdiness of the ML350 is great. The Harmon Kardon sound is very good. The trouble I have experienced has been the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have it in the shop now for balance shaft replacement ( out of warranty and a few grand to fix) plus I was told that the transmission control module needs to be replaced ( another $1700). I have had the temperature controls reprogrammed ($150) parking lamp wiring harness replaced ( $200+) parking brake release handle repaired ( $200) plus normal maintenance service of $1000.00 plus already just this year. Stay away from 2006 ML's - maybe all MB vehicles! My servicing dealer is not good either which compounds the issue.

Very disappointed
By Vicki on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I purchased my first Benz and positively my last. The SUV in general was pretty good until a couple of months later after I purchased it (brand new) It's been a nightmare since then. Something had to be fixed every now and then,at least 3-4 times a year.When it was still under warranty,it wasn't a big deal. Then big things started breaking after the warranty expired. I can now say it's a piece of junk. My 2 Lexus RX 330's and a Nissan pathfinder in the past had not been in the shop for repairs collectively as my ML was. Finally got rid of it and traded it for an Infiniti. Whew! what a relief.

Buy extended warranty, maintainence$$$
By don on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Dealership charges $600 for glorified oil change (schedule C). Have had for 4 yrs only about 7000 mi/yr. Now my warranty is up- last month. Only 28,000 mi., I have had numerous transmission problems, only the Mercedes dealership will take care of it. Have spent over $5000 since warranty out.

Great SUV and MPG
By gemesq on 04/13/10 15:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am not sure why this SUV is listed as 16 mpg. I regularly get 22-24 miles per gallon on the freeway and around 18 mpg in town. For an SUV, you can't ask for better. We bought this SUV used and have loved it ever since. I coveted this new model when it came out in 2006 and wanted one then. This is a safe, fun to drive SUV with all the necessary luxury items a driver could want. I agree with other reviewers that it seems louder on the highway, but I was driving a passenger sedan before and from what I have heard, all SUVs are louder on the highway, including the Lexus which prides itself on being super quiet. Overall, a great SUV.

THE BIG LET DOWN
By james on 08/21/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This car is a big let down we are so done with this car, the transmission makes so much noise the shifter is in a bad position, the loud noise from the engine, we have had the car serviced so many times trying to find out about the engine problem, slipping of the transmission. Our 98 ml320 gave us no problems, we should have kept it with 135k miles, sadly disappointed

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.