2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV 3.5L V6 AWD 7-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

2006 M-Class Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Not a bad car
By zekester1

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Bought this car new, and have no problems other than replacing brake lights and the fuel filter ($3000+). I've 118000+ miles and have no serious complaints other than shoddy switchgear (sunroof switch is broken). Roomy, decent gas milage (23mpg+) and fully-featured, this I believe is my perfect car. However, the 8-quart oil requirement makes for expensive oil changes when using synthetic ($100+).

Favorite Features

Rear seats fold flat, rain-sensing wipers and a very large window-washing reservoir. The hill decent control works well, and comes in handy when dealing with traffic-laden winter trips to Reno. I'm 6' 5" and people can still sit behind me while I'm completely comfortable. Holds a lot in the back even with the seats up. Stereo is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

It seems to me that there's room for a full-sized spare, so why not do that. Move the AUX audio out of the glovebox to a place that makes sense. Make the hood release a bit easier to find. Ditch the joystick controller for the COMAND system.

Unreliable overrated verhicle
By candiangold

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

- Balance Shaft replaced - 8 sensors replaced in 8 month span - 2 Ignition coils replaced - MAF sensor replaced - ECU Connector replaced - Headlight wiring insulation cracked (and shortcut) - The wheel wells are covered in some kind of fabric(?) which will come loose - Rear bulbs keep burning out - Subwoofer blown - Rear windshield wiper does not complete cycle - Interior vents adjusters falling apart (glued?) - Ratting in left front door - Rear hatch rattling - Lots of rattling when interior is cold - Seat Belt lock stops working - Rear ashtray fell apart - Idling erratic I traded it in for an Acura MDX, what a breeze, no rattles, smooth ride, and all options standard

Favorite Features

this suv drives nice on winding roads between 80 and 120 km/h

Suggested Improvements

- Too many to list - Most overrated and overpriced vehicle brand out there, if you only care to have the star on your hood go ahead! This car does not come close to a E-Class, it is not Mercedes, it is slammed together in the US with US supplied (subpar) parts.

Maybe Luck of the Draw
By f22dara

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Some people may have bought a "monday or friday" car, meaning the days nobody wants to work, a few mishaps made down the assembly line( yes you can research and find out what day our car was born on FYI) However, I'm surprised at all the bad reviews. This is my second mercedes but first ML truck. I love it truely & thanking God i have not experienced the nightmares of others. I get so many compliments.I will admit the wiring harness had to be fixed by dealer( free of charge) but other than that the car is perfect total class.. Mercedes is worth the money and yes expensive to maintain but hey... you gotta Pay to Play right..

ML350 - Don't touch one!
By dutchy01

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

If you research this vehicle you will find they have problems with the balance shaft and this equals expensive repairs. MB will not admit a problem exists but the blogs show this to be untrue. They have also introduced a replacement (read upgrade) kit to address their non existent problems. My experience has been that a cog on the balance shaft has disintegrated causing much internal damage. The engine had to be removed and parts replaced. 30 hours labour. Can you afford the risk? I currently have 2 MB's but will not touch another one.

Favorite Features

Performance (when not in the dealership being repaired) is great. It looks good, handles well and feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality leaves much to be desired. Sometimes customers come before reputation.

Balance shaft recall & reliability
By joezep

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

There's a ballnce shaft problem where MB extended the warantee for 10 years on this $5,800 job. One dealer did not know about it. They still hit me $1,800 to replace defective intake manifold that was not covered. This car has a computer from hell giving false signals on light bulbs etc. Not nearly as reliable as my 99 E430. Truck ate about $10k in repairs this year. I expected a lot better quality from MB but this is true for all German cars lately. Why pay this kind of money when cars casting half are more reliable?

ML goes up in smokes
By dyoon001

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My daugther spilled some water in the back seat and within minutes, the wipers went wild (couldn't turn it off), the windows rolled down by themselves and various warnings signs came up on the dashboard (i.e. brake fluids malfunction). Then, smoke started to rise from the passenger side. This all happened while driving. How do you design a vehicle that malfunctions like that with a little bit of water spill? Why is the electrical panel located underneath the passenger side seat? What is the electrical system better protected? I think this should be a design defect and warrants a recall.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system on the floor needs to be water-proof. The newer 2012 ML has a better panel covering with white foam to absorb liquids but this was that the case with 2006 model. This should have been recalled and fixed because they replaced the cover without letting me know.

"a service nightmare"
By dissapointed

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The styling and sturdiness of the ML350 is great. The Harmon Kardon sound is very good. The trouble I have experienced has been the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have it in the shop now for balance shaft replacement ( out of warranty and a few grand to fix) plus I was told that the transmission control module needs to be replaced ( another $1700). I have had the temperature controls reprogrammed ($150) parking lamp wiring harness replaced ( $200+) parking brake release handle repaired ( $200) plus normal maintenance service of $1000.00 plus already just this year. Stay away from 2006 ML's - maybe all MB vehicles! My servicing dealer is not good either which compounds the issue.

Favorite Features

solid body feel and Harmon Kardon sound. Turn radius is also good for a suv.

Suggested Improvements

Get a new dealer in the Nashville area, do a recall and fix your obvious issues rather than stick your customers for known widespread defects such as balance shaft failures and transmission failures.

Very disappointed
By Vicki

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I purchased my first Benz and positively my last. The SUV in general was pretty good until a couple of months later after I purchased it (brand new) It's been a nightmare since then. Something had to be fixed every now and then,at least 3-4 times a year.When it was still under warranty,it wasn't a big deal. Then big things started breaking after the warranty expired. I can now say it's a piece of junk. My 2 Lexus RX 330's and a Nissan pathfinder in the past had not been in the shop for repairs collectively as my ML was. Finally got rid of it and traded it for an Infiniti. Whew! what a relief.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride

Buy extended warranty, maintainence$$$
By don

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Dealership charges $600 for glorified oil change (schedule C). Have had for 4 yrs only about 7000 mi/yr. Now my warranty is up- last month. Only 28,000 mi., I have had numerous transmission problems, only the Mercedes dealership will take care of it. Have spent over $5000 since warranty out.

Great SUV and MPG
By gemesq

2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am not sure why this SUV is listed as 16 mpg. I regularly get 22-24 miles per gallon on the freeway and around 18 mpg in town. For an SUV, you can't ask for better. We bought this SUV used and have loved it ever since. I coveted this new model when it came out in 2006 and wanted one then. This is a safe, fun to drive SUV with all the necessary luxury items a driver could want. I agree with other reviewers that it seems louder on the highway, but I was driving a passenger sedan before and from what I have heard, all SUVs are louder on the highway, including the Lexus which prides itself on being super quiet. Overall, a great SUV.

Favorite Features

Design, maneuverability, safety and it is just the right size to fit into most parking spaces- not a huge clunker like some of the larger SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior finishes could be better quality. We had the brushed stainless pieces on the steering wheel replaced at 45k miles because the paint was peeling.