Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

It's still an SUV
By ru2bsi2

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my BMW 528i for the 2005 ML350 Special Edition. If you're in the market for an SUV that drives like a sports car, that accelerates, responds & maneuvers nimbly - This is definitely it! Pinch me. Remind myself that this is an SUV. I wanted a car that had views of a truck + seats 4 adults + roomy cargo space. This is heaven! Knowing that I would give up a few things (i.e. sensible gas mileage and sports car bucket seats) - It is well worth it!

Favorite Features

Sporty and yet classy! Comfortable, nimble and responsive! Easy ride!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

ML 350 Experience
By Hans

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have the car 2 years now, so far no technical problems. This is second Mercedes, the first one being an E320 4Matic. We came into the dealer to buy a C240 4Matic, but when my wife saw the 350, she was attracted to it. The price was very attractive so after a short test drive we decided to go for it. In retrospect, I kick myself for making such a spontaneous decision. The car is no comparision to the smoothness of the E320. This one feels really like a truck. But my main issues with the car are the engine and the fuel economy. The engine does not feel and sound like a Mercedes engine, it is underpowered and noisy, awful. Fuel consumption is horrible. Never will buy again.

Favorite Features

Seats, road handling, design

Suggested Improvements

Less engine noise, more power. Better steering mechanism (it feels flimsy). Instrumentation on par w other MB models. Better fuel economy.

Very Good SUV
By JT

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The '05 ML500 is the last MB suv I will be buying unless MB improves on the '06 ML and GL. MB cannot afford to build the '05 ML500 at today's material prices, hence the cost cutting measures on the '06 models. My main concern is safety. My wife drives the vechile on the interstate 40 miles each way and if I have to put a little extra money into maitenace in the '05ML its well worth it. A little noise and rattle is small price to safety of a loved one.

Favorite Features

Sturdy body construction, no unibody.

Suggested Improvements

Longer brake pad life.

I want to sell the it
By Yijian

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

First time SUV owner. I feel ML is really a truck rather than a car. High performance engine, very responsive handling, strong feedbacks from the road. These also come with noisy engine, rough ride (for driver and passengers), bad gas mileage. Have driven other SUVs, ML is worst in term of comfort, long distance ride will not be fun for passengers. Interior is simple and dull. Window control, cruise control and cup holder seem in strange place, not very intuitive. Lack of standard features such as seat bel sensors, trunk open sensors, trip computers. No luxury features.

Favorite Features

Driving and handling, navigation and safty feeling of 8 airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter engine, softer ride, trip computer, redesign cruise control, cup holder, and more standard and luxurious features.

All Wheel Drive Eats Tires in 10,000 mi
By BEB

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My ML350 ruined a set of tires in 10,000 mile. The dealer says I didn't rotate enough. They were rotated and balanced at 5,000 at 10,000 at 15,000 at 20,000. I think the all wheel drive is eating the tires. My dealer won't do anything, no other dealer will do anything. So, at 30,000 miles, I'm losing $7,000.00 just to get rid of this lemon. Pretty sad. I've had other Mercedes, but this piece of junk is my last. This vehicle vibrates like a piece of junk. I'm embarrased for M.B. They should be ashamed.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes should buy parts and technology from Lexus.