Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

No Luxury Car!
By Elizabeth

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first MB purchase, and I bought it for the "reliability" and craftsmanship - HA! At 26K, needed to replace all 4 tires (get rid of Dunlop!), had leaking rear differential and the low-range light kept flashing. At 52k, entire front end had to be rebuilt (just off warranty, thank you very much), needed new front brake rotors and brake pads all around, front headlight "leaking". At 72K, had to replace radiator (cracked extrusion joint), and rear differential again had to be fixed. I can't wait to get rid of this crappy car.

Lots of interior room.

Try improving the overall quality of this "wanna-be" luxury SUV - otherwise, stop making this model.

It's still an SUV
By ru2bsi2

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my BMW 528i for the 2005 ML350 Special Edition. If you're in the market for an SUV that drives like a sports car, that accelerates, responds & maneuvers nimbly - This is definitely it! Pinch me. Remind myself that this is an SUV. I wanted a car that had views of a truck + seats 4 adults + roomy cargo space. This is heaven! Knowing that I would give up a few things (i.e. sensible gas mileage and sports car bucket seats) - It is well worth it!

Sporty and yet classy! Comfortable, nimble and responsive! Easy ride!

Gas mileage

ML 350 Experience
By Hans

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have the car 2 years now, so far no technical problems. This is second Mercedes, the first one being an E320 4Matic. We came into the dealer to buy a C240 4Matic, but when my wife saw the 350, she was attracted to it. The price was very attractive so after a short test drive we decided to go for it. In retrospect, I kick myself for making such a spontaneous decision. The car is no comparision to the smoothness of the E320. This one feels really like a truck. But my main issues with the car are the engine and the fuel economy. The engine does not feel and sound like a Mercedes engine, it is underpowered and noisy, awful. Fuel consumption is horrible. Never will buy again.

Seats, road handling, design

Less engine noise, more power. Better steering mechanism (it feels flimsy). Instrumentation on par w other MB models. Better fuel economy.

Very Good SUV
By JT

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The '05 ML500 is the last MB suv I will be buying unless MB improves on the '06 ML and GL. MB cannot afford to build the '05 ML500 at today's material prices, hence the cost cutting measures on the '06 models. My main concern is safety. My wife drives the vechile on the interstate 40 miles each way and if I have to put a little extra money into maitenace in the '05ML its well worth it. A little noise and rattle is small price to safety of a loved one.

Sturdy body construction, no unibody.

Longer brake pad life.

I want to sell the it
By Yijian

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

First time SUV owner. I feel ML is really a truck rather than a car. High performance engine, very responsive handling, strong feedbacks from the road. These also come with noisy engine, rough ride (for driver and passengers), bad gas mileage. Have driven other SUVs, ML is worst in term of comfort, long distance ride will not be fun for passengers. Interior is simple and dull. Window control, cruise control and cup holder seem in strange place, not very intuitive. Lack of standard features such as seat bel sensors, trunk open sensors, trip computers. No luxury features.

Driving and handling, navigation and safty feeling of 8 airbags.

Quieter engine, softer ride, trip computer, redesign cruise control, cup holder, and more standard and luxurious features.