2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
It's still an SUV
By ru2bsi2 on 01/06/08 19:27 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my BMW 528i for the 2005 ML350 Special Edition. If you're in the market for an SUV that drives like a sports car, that accelerates, responds & maneuvers nimbly - This is definitely it! Pinch me. Remind myself that this is an SUV. I wanted a car that had views of a truck + seats 4 adults + roomy cargo space. This is heaven! Knowing that I would give up a few things (i.e. sensible gas mileage and sports car bucket seats) - It is well worth it!

ML 350 Experience
By Hans on 02/10/07 22:47 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have the car 2 years now, so far no technical problems. This is second Mercedes, the first one being an E320 4Matic. We came into the dealer to buy a C240 4Matic, but when my wife saw the 350, she was attracted to it. The price was very attractive so after a short test drive we decided to go for it. In retrospect, I kick myself for making such a spontaneous decision. The car is no comparision to the smoothness of the E320. This one feels really like a truck. But my main issues with the car are the engine and the fuel economy. The engine does not feel and sound like a Mercedes engine, it is underpowered and noisy, awful. Fuel consumption is horrible. Never will buy again.

Very Good SUV
By JT on 05/15/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The '05 ML500 is the last MB suv I will be buying unless MB improves on the '06 ML and GL. MB cannot afford to build the '05 ML500 at today's material prices, hence the cost cutting measures on the '06 models. My main concern is safety. My wife drives the vechile on the interstate 40 miles each way and if I have to put a little extra money into maitenace in the '05ML its well worth it. A little noise and rattle is small price to safety of a loved one.

I want to sell the it
By Yijian on 01/14/06 08:49 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

First time SUV owner. I feel ML is really a truck rather than a car. High performance engine, very responsive handling, strong feedbacks from the road. These also come with noisy engine, rough ride (for driver and passengers), bad gas mileage. Have driven other SUVs, ML is worst in term of comfort, long distance ride will not be fun for passengers. Interior is simple and dull. Window control, cruise control and cup holder seem in strange place, not very intuitive. Lack of standard features such as seat bel sensors, trunk open sensors, trip computers. No luxury features.

All Wheel Drive Eats Tires in 10,000 mi
By BEB on 01/11/06 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My ML350 ruined a set of tires in 10,000 mile. The dealer says I didn't rotate enough. They were rotated and balanced at 5,000 at 10,000 at 15,000 at 20,000. I think the all wheel drive is eating the tires. My dealer won't do anything, no other dealer will do anything. So, at 30,000 miles, I'm losing $7,000.00 just to get rid of this lemon. Pretty sad. I've had other Mercedes, but this piece of junk is my last. This vehicle vibrates like a piece of junk. I'm embarrased for M.B. They should be ashamed.

A Legacy? No ... But fits me well.
By Yura83 on 12/18/05 00:39 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

'05 is the last year for the truck-like frame body, as well as the 5 speed automatic trany. Performs well off- road and in snow. As most other Mercedes, the unique electronically controlled gas paddle will have you looking for others in your mirrors. Car feels somewhat rough on turns even with BAS helping out. If you like extreme ride comfort, get an s- class ... after all you are buying a truck. No 50 mpg for this baby, but not a Hummer either. Both interior and exterior features lack one or two items, but generally satisfying. Overall fun to drive, especially in blizzards. This model is sometimes known for few reliability issues, which are usually covered under warranty. Fun to drive

This is an exclusive SUV
By Fay on 12/10/05 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2001 ML430 in for this and they ML430 came with more options like a sky view top this one only comes with a normal sunroof, this one also doesnt come with a cd-changer. Other than that the car runs like a dream and it is so powerful considering it only uses a little gas.The third row seat doesnt realy have that much room but it does its job.I test drove the BMW X5 which looks better that they ML but compared to the way the ML drives the X5 is junk and they X5 doesnt have safes or a third row of seats.

Long Live the Mercedes Brand....Not!!
By KJ on 12/05/05 16:30 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Nice looking SUV w/great power and handling. Quality leather interior and sound system. Plenty of room for SUV's in this class. Goes downhill from here. Squeaky brakes that dealer says is s MB problem and they put on free lubricant for 1 yr then you are on your own. Dunlop tires are inferior for a 50k SUV. After 20k miles and a loud ride, dealer says you need new tires and not to replace w/Dunlop. Stiff gas pedal takes a lot to get used to, dealer says they made the cable to short. Dealer nor MB Client Services will stand behind brake/tire issue. Agree with another reivew that MB will be dead in 5 years unless radical changes are made

Disappointed Buyer
By louise85 on 09/30/05 15:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my ML350 3 mo. later, dead battery & Headlight out. Have had it in the shop 9 times in the first year, stalled @ lights, radio/stereo goes in and out, phone option purchased for an extra $1500.00 in less than 1 yr. it is obsolete.The black side panels next to the windows peeled had to be replaced.Rides very rough. Sad to say very disappointed. It was a gift from my husband for our 5yr anniversary, I look at it and only think what a waste of money. Have filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and have notified my local news station to do a story on what a terrible company Mercedes-Benz truly is

I'd Buy It Again
By JA on 09/25/05 17:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 1st Mercedes. I traded in a Toyota 4Runner for a 2005 Special Edition 350ML and driving has not been the same. Before, driving was just going from one location to another, and I could not wait to get out of the car. Now, I love being in my car and sitting in traffic no longer bothers me (to a point, of course). My Mercedes is like my home away from home. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I would definitely buy it again if I had to do it all over. Perhaps Mercedes will have a hybrid SUV when it is time to buy my next vehicle.